PCI Vulnerabilities Report

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PCI Vulnerabilities Report

L4 Transporter

Dear Friends, panos, panagent HULK hshah Steven Puluka hyadavalli mmmccorkle

I have a doubt regarding PCI vulnerabilities scan and enable the signature for the same. when security team scan our WAN interface. he found below

1. SSL Certificate - Self-Signed Certificate

VULNERABILITY DETAILS

CVSS Base Score: 9.4

CVSS Temporal Score: 6.9

Severity: 2

QID: 38169

Category: General remote services

CVE ID: -

Vendor Reference: -

Bugtraq ID: -

Last Update: 05/25/2009

THREAT:

An SSL Certificate associates an entity (person, organization, host, etc.) with a Public Key. In an SSL connection, the client authenticates the remote

server using the server's Certificate and extracts the Public Key in the Certificate to establish the secure connection.

The client can trust that the Server Certificate belongs the server only if it is signed by a mutually trusted third-party Certificate Authority (CA). Selfsigned

certificates are created generally for testing purposes or to avoid paying third-party CAs. These should not be used on any production or

critical servers.By exploiting this vulnerability, an attacker can impersonate the server by presenting a fake self-signed certificate. If the client knows that the server does not have a trusted certificate, it will accept this spoofed certificate and communicate with the remote server.

IMPACT:By exploiting this vulnerability, an attacker can launch a man-in-the-middle attack.

SOLUTION:Please install a server certificate signed by a trusted third-party Certificate Authority.

RESULT: Certificate #0 emailAddress=support@paloaltonetworks.com,CN=localhost,OU=Support,O=Palo_Alto_Networks,L=Sunnyvale,ST=CA,C=US is a self signed certificate.

2. SSL Certificate - Signature Verification Failed Vulnerability   port 443/tcp over SSL

VULNERABILITY DETAILS

QID: 38173

Last Update: 05/23/2009

3. SSL Certificate - Self-Signed Certificate  port 4443/tcp over SSL

VULNERABILITY DETAILS

QID: 38169

Last Update: 05/25/2009

4. OpenSSH Local SCP Shell Command Execution Vulnerability (FEDORA-2006-056, Vmware-3069097-Patch,Vmware-9986131-Patch)

VULNERABILITY DETAILS

CVSS Base Score: 4.6

CVSS Temporal Score: 3.5

Severity: 3

QID: 115317

Category: Local

CVE ID: CVE-2006-0225

Vendor Reference: OpenSSH, FEDORA-2006-056, Vmware-3069097-Patch, Vmware-9986131-Patch

Bugtraq ID: 16369

Last Update: 06/17/2010

i have checked below reference I Need help for SSLV3 disable but not yet answered. please suggest me for the same. i am using PAN OS 6.1.2

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Satish

16 REPLIES 16

L7 Applicator

For the certificate, they are asking you to purchase a certificate for the PA from a recognized CA instead of using the device generated certificate.

How to Generate a CSR(Certificate Signing Request) and Import the Signed Certificate

For the CVE coverage, you will need to wait for PA to update the PanOS to pass.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L4 Transporter

Satish,

The SSLv3 is not disabled for you although you are running 6.1.2?

Thanks

Hi mmm,

After upgrading the PAN OS ssl v3 is disabled but i am facing below issue mention earlier.

Thanks

Thanks Steven for reply let me check.

how to disable ssl on paloalto for management console permanently and how to enable firewall management console on TSL.

L2 Linker

pls help us to close above point. its urgent.

Team,  pls answer

OK, I was able to research this further, and SSL V3 option has been removed from the PAN OS 6.0.8 and 6.1.2 onward. Prior to these version, you do not have any option to disable SSL V3 on the firewall, rather, you may disable SSL-V3 on your web browser. Accordingly, the client will not send SSL-v3 during the handshake.

Please let me know if this answers your question or not.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

what about TSL?

Hi,

if we purchase a certificate for the PA from a recognized CA r u sure below issues will b resolved? Pls confirm

1. SSL Certificate - Self-Signed Certificate  port 4443/tcp over SSL

2.OpenSSH Local SCP Shell Command Execution Vulnerability (FEDORA-2006-056, Vmware-3069097-Patch,Vmware-9986131-Patch)

3.SSL Certificate - Signature Verification Failed Vulnerability   port 443/tcp over SSL

4. SSL Certificate - Self-Signed Certificate

Team pls answer asap

A purchased certificate from an trusted CA will solve numbers 1, 3, 4.

Number 2 you should as for the CVE number.  I assume you are running a PAN appliance.  So you would then open a support case and request to know what PanOS version fixes this openSSL CVE.  These are only fixed by PanOS upgrades that include the patch for the vulnerability.

Unfortunately, PAN does not make public the PanOS vulnerability database.  There are some posts about specific CVE but generally you need to open a case to get an official answer on when the CVE is patched.

ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Ok thanks steven.

1 more question: we have upgraded version 6.1.2 on PA and disable SSLV3 point as per PCI.

But now PCI want to enable PA firewall management console on TSL.

is this done after disabling SSLV3?

I think you are referring to TLS and the POODLE vulnerability.  This is patched in versions higher than 6.1.1 and 6.0.8.

Palo Alto Networks Product Vulnerability - Security Advisories

Detail

Padding-oracle attack on TLS CBC cipher mode (CVE-2014-8730)

PAN-SA-2015-0001 Low PAN-OS 6.1.1 and earlier; PAN-OS 6.0.8 and earlier; PAN-OS 5.0.15 and earlier
  • 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!