PPPoE, static IP and Brittish Telecom

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PPPoE, static IP and Brittish Telecom

L1 Bithead

Hi. 

I'm having trouble with using a static ip adresses while connecting using PPPoE.

Using none on IP adress works. 

Logs says "'PPPoE session failed to connect for user:user@hg7.btclick.com on interface:ethernet1/1. Reason: No network protocols running, LCP down'"

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Community Team Member

Hi @RonnieAxelsson,

Is passive enabled ? (When passive is enabled then that means that the firewall will not try to initiate the LCP negotiations and would rely on remote side peer to initiate the session).

Enabling the pppoe debugs to get more details : 

admin@PA-VM> debug pppoed global on debug 

sw.pppoed.runtime.debug.level: debug

admin@PA-VM> debug pppoed pcap on

There's a pppoed.log file you can tail while you test the access : 

admin@PA-VM> tail follow yes mp-log pppoed.log 

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. 

That gave a lot more and the logs gave this:

017-10-06 17:49:06.573 +0800 debug: log_write(ppp/utils.c:678): [0xffe40384f0/16][0] PPP RCVD: [IPCP ConfAck id=0x7 <ms-dns1 194.72.0.98> <ms-dns3 194.74.65.68>]
2017-10-06 17:49:06.573 +0800 debug: log_write(ppp/utils.c:678): ipcp: up
2017-10-06 17:49:06.573 +0800 debug: log_write(ppp/utils.c:678): Peer refused to agree to our IP address
2017-10-06 17:49:06.573 +0800 debug: log_write(ppp/utils.c:678): ipcp: down
2017-10-06 17:49:06.574 +0800 debug: log_write(ppp/utils.c:678): [0xffe40384f0/16][0] PPP SENT: [IPCP TermReq id=0x8 "Refused our IP address"]

So checking with BT once more that the info I got is correct.

Just a quick question more. 

The ip adress entered in the address field in the PPPoE settings. Is that the IP with or without subnetmask?  

/Ronnie

Community Team Member

Hi @RonnieAxelsson,

According to Technical Details Regarding PPPoE Support :

Static IP Address settings

• Static IP Address of PPPoE settings allows IP address with 32 bit mask only

That said, when you configure an address of type 'IP Netmask' the description says that you can enter an IP address or a slash notation.   

2017-10-06_12-39-12.jpg

I must say I'm not 100% sure if both notations will be accepted ^_^

Personally I'd go with just the IP address but maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi.

Still got a problem. 

And still getting: Peer refused to agree to our IP address

BT confirms that IP adress I'm trying to set is correct. 

and no reply why it works with no adress set. 

Any idea getting around this problem using a subinterface (I know that i won't accept a subinterface on a PPPoE interface) or any other ide? 

Best regards

/Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

I would suspect you need to speak to BT as it looks like their end causing the issue.

If you leave the IP address as 'none' do the devices connect? If they do check then runtime info and see if you've been provisioned your 'static' IP.

hope this helps,

Ben

Yes, When using none as adress I'm getting a completly different adress then the one I got from BT. 

Reported this to BT and awaiting answer. 

Thanks for the response

Best regards

/Ronnie

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!