Panorama Templates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama Templates

Not applicable

What is the benefit of Panorama templates?

It seems like when creating a template and pushing it out to a device, it doesn't warn you when you are overwriting device configuration. For example, I have a layer 3 interface 1/10 and my template has interface 1/10 for tap. When pushing the template out, it overwrites the layer 3 interface without a warning.

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

A template basically makes it possible to configure parameters under the network and device tabs from Panorama. Very handy not having to navigate into device context for every device, when you do small changes to the config, like editing a server profile.

Did you select the "force template values" checkbox when running template commit? I think that could possibly be the reason your device configuration is overwritten.

From the admin guide:

Force Template Values—When doing a Commit Type Template, you can select this option to remove objects on the selected devices or virtual systems that have been overridden by the local configuration. When doing a Commit Type “Device Group”, you need to also select the “Include Device and Network Templates” check box since overriding can only occur for Template pushed configuration options. This will cause the overridden objects to inherit settings from the template. Refer to“Overriding Template Settings” on page 394.

L3 Networker

The benefits of templates can really be seen when moving up to larger deployments. For example, one of my clients has 100+ virtual firewalls that they would like to deploy across their chain. For ease of troubleshooting, I give them all the same internal interface addresses so that I am familiar with each site, no matter which site it is.

A.

(Now shamelessly accepting the next 72 friend requests.)

Not applicable

Yeah I figured it was more of a 'starter' policy/plan than a maintenance solution.

• 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!