Panorama VM - 8.0.x - How long can we run in Legacy Mode?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama VM - 8.0.x - How long can we run in Legacy Mode?

L1 Bithead

We currently have a Panorama virtual machine with 2TB of storage runnint 7.1.x.  I know there are changes to the log database in 8.0.x.  We also have some newer PA firewalls that only run 8.0.x, so we would like to upgrade Panorama.  How long can we run in "legacy" mode with Panorama 8.0.x?  I don't have 2+TB of additional storage at the moment to create a new disk to complete the log conversion.

Are there any limitations on running Panorama 8.0.x in "legacy" mode?  Can we run in that mode for a few weeks?  Can we still view the logs and run any needed reports?  Will logs still be stored in the legacy storage?

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You're going to lose the local log collector, I'm not positive but I think if you change into legacy mode youll likely lose the existing logs and any query/reporting on these logs is going to take longer. 

L7 Applicator
As I understood you can run in legacy mode as long as you want (or until PaloAlto requires Panorama-Mode for feature updates)
In legacy mode everything works as you already know it. You simply don't have the benefits of panorama-mode (higher performance, storage capacity up to 24 TB on a single appliance, snmp support for the local log collector, ...)

ok, thank you.  I couldn't find anythign definitive on if we could stay in legacy mode for a while and still have everything work with logging and reporting.

Reading through some other posts, someone said "Because PAN-OS 8.0 uses a new format, the logs will need to be converted to the new format to work properly and run reports.", and thats when I got concerned.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/General-Topics/Upgrading-7-1-to-8-0-New-Log-Storage/m-p/154369#...

If you wan't to use panorama-mode, yes then the logs need to be converted. But you don't have to use panorama-mode.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!