Ping outside interface from inside

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ping outside interface from inside

L3 Networker

Can somebody explain how I would be able to ping the IP address on an untrusted interface from inside (trusted). I setup a interface management profile on the interface and I can ping the outside interface IP address from the public internet, but not from inside. I don't see any drops, and creating a policy has not seemed to help either.

I'm trying to do to troubleshoot something and not intended for long term usage.

Thanks!

-Brad
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Is there a security policy that allows pinging between the zones associated with those two interfaces?

While pinging, try running "show counter global filter delta yes".  This should show you other reasons for packet drops (outside of policy).  

Are you using NAT?  Does your NAT policy translate the internal addresses to the external interface address?  (The one you're trying to ping?)  That may be the cause of the problem.  You could create a "no-nat" rule that bypasses NAT when the source is internal and the destination is the outside interface IP address.  Make sure this new policy is above your other NAT policy for outbound access.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

Is there a security policy that allows pinging between the zones associated with those two interfaces?

While pinging, try running "show counter global filter delta yes".  This should show you other reasons for packet drops (outside of policy).  

Are you using NAT?  Does your NAT policy translate the internal addresses to the external interface address?  (The one you're trying to ping?)  That may be the cause of the problem.  You could create a "no-nat" rule that bypasses NAT when the source is internal and the destination is the outside interface IP address.  Make sure this new policy is above your other NAT policy for outbound access.  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!