Power Module failure

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Power Module failure

L4 Transporter

Is there any other way to see if a power modules as failed? I just happened to notice the LED lights were red on the front of the secondary PA but my primary PA is in another building altogether so I would not know without going over there.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @jdprovine,

Looks like this article covers what you are looking for?

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Learning-Articles/CLI-Commands-to-View-Hardware-Status/tac-p/15...

I would hope the systems are setup to email if a hardware component failed and didtn take the box offline? I think this is a good subject to learn from and setup my own monitoring.

Regards,

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @jdprovine,

Looks like this article covers what you are looking for?

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Learning-Articles/CLI-Commands-to-View-Hardware-Status/tac-p/15...

I would hope the systems are setup to email if a hardware component failed and didtn take the box offline? I think this is a good subject to learn from and setup my own monitoring.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@jdprovine,

Since @OtakarKlier already gave you the command to see if it's failed, I'll just throw in another note that you should have alerting setup on the PAN so that something like a hardware failure would actually notify you that something was wrong.  

@BPry

I will definitely check out alerting

@BPry

alerting on PAN setup do you mean panorama cause we don't have that. We have syslog servers but not panorama

@jdprovine,

I was actually talking about configuring an 'Email' server profile, then setting up alerting utilizing the 'Log Settings' options. There you'll be able to configure System forwarding to your Email server to get alerts such as this. 

@BPry @OtakarKlier

I checked and now both power supplies have been replaced on my secondary firewall in the last two years, interesting.

You can use this command to look only at the power supples 

>show system environmentals power-supply

Hello @jdprovine,

Its good to hear that the system is back with good power supplies. Are they being fed power via a UPS? If not they could be getting dirty power causing the premature failures?

Just some thoughts.

I agree with @OtakarKlier, something doesn't sound right with that @jdprovine. It could be that you simply got a couple of weak power supplies, but I'd say it's more likely that you either aren't feeding the power through a UPS or other power conditioner or that whatever you are using is having some issues cleaning up the power the firewall is being suplied. 

@BPry @OtakarKlier

It is on UPS always has been

That is always a good idea. I would check the UPS just to make sure its putting out clean power. Also I assume that temp and humidity are also being considered as well as airflow?

@OtakarKlier

The UPS was just put in last month with new wiring. the first power failure, which was power module 1 failed in April 2016 while the device was in a different building. It has been in the new building for about a year with the power module 2 failed last Friday.

Hmmm, perhaps its just bad luck?

@OtakarKlier

Quite possibly!!! 😛

• 1 accepted solution
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!