Production Code Recommendations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Production Code Recommendations

L3 Networker

I am getting ready to move two 5050s into production and would like to know what release code to start with based on your recommendations. I assume that 4.1.10 would be the best choice, but 5.0 has been out for a little while now. I normally wait for about 4 or 5 releases before moving to the next revision.

Thanks for the info.

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

I would recommend 4.1.10 and if you'd like to upgrade to 5.0.x, defer to your local Sales SE. He/She could provide more insight given your PROD environment With such a major upgrade, their input is invaluable to mitigate issues that may surface.

L3 Networker

To add to the previous comment, I would recommend staying with 4.1 for the moment unless there is a specific feature in 5.0 that you require or wish to use.

Speaking of which... how come?

I mean since PANOS 5.0 obviously is released as production code and not beta or something?

Sure you will run into new bugs, but at least you will hopefully not run into old bugs like if you would stay with 4.1.5 or such.

Because it's a more mature release as the features in 4.1 that were identifed as having issues have been fixed. 5.0 has new features that may have issues that have yet to be identified

Yes but the fixes committed in 4.1 are committed into 5.0 aswell, arent they?

Mostly. The reason I say that is that the current code streams are maintained in parallel to each other. Any fixes that are relevant to both 4.1 and 5.0 up to 4.1.7 should be in 5.0.0 (due to V5 being released around the same time). More recent fixes found in say 4.1.9 should be found in related 5.0 release 5.0.2.

Please note this simply a rule of thumb as the release dates are not exactly the same and some fixes may be more complex to implement in that particular version or simply not relevant.

On the other hand it seems like PANOS 5.0 is the main branch now and stuff is being backported to 4.1 and 4.0 later on.

Take this appid cache pollution thingy from the christmas holidays.

Fix for PANOS 5.0 came first, I dont know if the fix is out yet for 4.1 and 4.0...

The App ID Cache pollution was fixed in 5.0.2 and 4.1.11. If you look at the release dates it indicates why, 5.0.2 came out after the bulletin and then 4.1.11 came out after 5.0.2. Search for the bug number in the relevant release notes: 47195 and you will find it.

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!