QOS to a specific webpage/service for admin staff

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

QOS to a specific webpage/service for admin staff

L1 Bithead

Greetings

I awhile back asked the company that initially setup and installed my palo alto to set up a rule so that my admin staff will not have issues reaching a specific website. but i dont think they did it properly.

As a school of about a thousand users balancing the admin staff'ss needs vs the teaching staff's vs the pupils can be quite tricky.

Basically what I want to is have, admin/finance staff accessing our management system wich is cloud/web based, not be affected when the rest of the school now believes is a good time for everyone to be on youtube. I have sadly lost the "not everyone needs Youtube all the time" Fight.

All my admin/finance staff are on a different Vlan from the rest of the school.

I know the IP or web address of the service they need access to.

I think i just need a sample rule of how to give them priority acccess so that i can create one or Double check the one that was made for me.

Can point me at a good how-to? While I read up on this.

Thank you

(Trying to make sense of things one problem at a time)
2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would personally take a two pronged approach to this.

1. Limit online Video to a certain bandwidth using QoS
  2. Create a Qos Policy for the users that need the access

So QoS doesnt really take affect until the resources are constrained. However it also depends on where the bottleneck is, if its at the PAN edge then the QoS will work, if not then it might not help at all.

Getting started with QoS

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS0CAK

Using QoS for streaming media:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClFjCAK

For the users that need access, you can specifiy them by Source Zone and User-id, I prefer to use AD groups.

image.png

Hope that helps.

Thank you for this.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!