QoS Profile Classes - Maximum Egress (Mbps)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

QoS Profile Classes - Maximum Egress (Mbps)

L2 Linker

In looking at the documentation for configuring QoS, I'm not clear on the QoS Profile Classes/Maximum Egress value.  Is this PER SESSION or TOTAL?  We're playing around with limiting (before we block it entirely) P2P traffic.  I would like to knock the user down to something low (like dial-up speeds).  So do I set this at Class 8 and .05Mbs or should it be something like 20Mbs (shared by all P2P users)?

On a side note, is there a way to search KnowledgePoint for just posts?  I can't believe this question hasn't been asked before, but my searches just yield documents.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

QoS is done for all sessions that match the class.

so if you're throttling P2P users it would apply to all of the P2P applications that you added to the class. So if you have 100Mbits and you're willing to give them 10% then their max egress for class 8 would be 10Mbits.

-Benjamin

Benjamin,

Thank you for the reply.  Because it's the end of the day, I don't want to invoke the "policy" yet (although I have made the changes).  Do I need to disable both the Network QoS Interface definition and the Police QoS rule, or can I just disable the QoS rule to keep it from triggering (for now) when I commit the configuration?

Also, by putting this QoS rule in place, the other traffic on this port is not impacted (up to the available bandwidth), correct?

Thanks.

All traffic defaults to QoS class 4. So you want to be careful that you only specify a max egress bandwidth on class 8 for your QoS profile.

If the QoS policy is not enabled then the QoS should not be applied. If it does then you'd want to open a case with PAN Support to investigate.

-Benjamin

If I don't define anything on Class4, I should be ok?  I'm thinking that I might have another rule that grants better bandwidth to a classroom, just in case I have some professor teaching p2p in a Technology Course.

So, Class8 may be 10Mbs Max Egress and Class7 may be Guaranteed 5 and Max of 10 (I'm just throwing these numbers out w/o much thought).

Correct, so long as you don't cap bandwidth on class 4 and you leave the interface Max egress bandwidth blank you should be OK. I have seen customers apply the bandwidth cap to the interface so that all classes combined were limited to 0.1 Mbits/sec. Needless to say this was not the correct configuration for their bandwidth shaping goals.

-Benjamin

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!