QoS (bandwidth) VPN site-to-site tunnel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

QoS (bandwidth) VPN site-to-site tunnel?

L3 Networker

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the QoS feature of the PAN-2020 and was wondering if I could get some assistance.  We have a VPN site-to-site tunnel and the data center we are tunneling to is a 10 Mbps connection we can burst up to (10 Mbps being the max speed).  We are using PAN-2020s on either side to manage the tunnel and I am looking into how to throttle the bandwidth between the sites so that we never peak over 9.5 Mbps as we get warning about hitting the ceiling. We are not really wanting to throttle specific traffic types, but all traffic that goes over the tunnel. In my understanding of reading documentation and the discussions, QoS is the way to go, and is only applied to Egress Interfaces.

When I look under Network -> QoS Profile I see that I can setup a profile with a Guaranteed and Maximum Egress Speed. But then there is an opportunity to specify classes. I see that default class is 4, do I just specify the rate limits to that class?  Then under Network->QoS I can add the profile to a QoS interface and specify different settings in there.  I see a reference to the Tunnel Interface in which I'm assuming would be the Site-to-Site tunnel. But it looks like I need to apply a profile to a eth interface (which I would assume is the WAN - untrust?) also, but I don't want to QoS that.

What am I missing or what is not clicking?  There is is also QoS in the Policies tab and not sure if I need to set something up there. Has anyone else done this, or know how to set this up?  Thank you for your help.

This document isn't very clear to me:

-Chris

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

Anyone not doing QoSing VPN site-to-site tunnels?

This is a very interesting topic and I would like to see some answers as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

Here is my understanding related to QoS

Step1: Create a QoS policy under Policies tab which assigns  a class number for your intended traffic

Step2: Create a QoS profile for the above mentioned class number with max Egress bandwidth, which make sure that for above class number traffic doesn't exceed the bandwidth

Step3: Apply the above created profile to egress interface with clear text traffic set to default whereas tunnel traffic set to the above profile created.

Regards,

Hari Yadavalli

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!