Question regarding SFP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Question regarding SFP

Not applicable

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the insertion of an SFP Module into a Palo Alto Networks 5050.  I have a Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL SFP module that works fine in Ether Port 1/13 (i.e I get link state).  From reading the vendor documentation for this module, I am fairly certain that the module is an SFP+ module.

The output of the following command shows the information discerned from the device:

sys.s1.p21.phy: { 'link-partner': { }, 'media': SFP-Plus-Fiber, 'sfp': { 'connector': LC, 'encoding': Reserved, 'identifier': SFP, 'transceiver': , 'vendor-name': FINISAR CORP.   , 'vendor-part-number': FTLX8571D3BCL   , 'vendor-part-rev': A   , }, 'type': Ethernet, }

The problem I am having is when I try to use the module in one of the SFP+ ports (by just moving it over), it is not working (I do not get a link light).  It only seems to work when I have the module plugged into one of the SFP ports 1/13, for example.  I have a Palo Alto 5050, so ports 21-24 are SFP+.

I have attached a full device configuraiton for my current running configuration. From what I can tell both of these ports are configured exactly the same.  Do I need to do something special to get this to work in an SFP+ port?  Could anybody potentially help me shed some light on why I cannot get link state when I move the module from port 13-21?

Thank-you so much for your help.  I hope you have a wonderful day.

Dan Sullivan

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan...What device is on the other end of the fiber?  When you connected to port 1/13 and it came up, this implies the other end is a 1G port not 10G.

Do you have another finisar FTLX8571D3BCL transceiver to test with?  You can put it in port 1/22 and connect to port 1/21 back-to-back to test.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hi...Can you try setting the link-state on the 10G port to auto instead of up.  You currently have it set to:

ethernet1/21 {
        link-speed auto;
        link-duplex auto;
        link-state up;

Thanks.

Hi,

This was actually the default. I deterministically set it to up; I changed it back to auto, and this made no difference. My config after a commit now looks like this for that particular interface.

ethernet1/21 {

link-speed auto;

link-duplex auto;

link-state auto;

layer2;

}

The link light is out, however if I move the same fiber and SFP to 1/13, it lights up immediately.

Thank-you so much,

Dan Sullivan

Dan...What device is on the other end of the fiber?  When you connected to port 1/13 and it came up, this implies the other end is a 1G port not 10G.

Do you have another finisar FTLX8571D3BCL transceiver to test with?  You can put it in port 1/22 and connect to port 1/21 back-to-back to test.

Thanks.

Hi, There,

You bring up an interesting point. I think this may be my issue, actually. I will report back

Dan Sullivan

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!