RIP over VPN tunnel

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

RIP over VPN tunnel

L2 Linker

Will RIP run over a VPN tunnel? I have a site to site to site VPN tunnel set up and an IP address set on my tunnel interface. I can ping the remote tunnel interface but I do not see the remote tunnel interface as a peer under RIP.

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

Hi Nathan,

Yes RIP works over a VPN tunnel. You can try configuring filters for RIP packets and see if they are getting dropped.

The other side of the tunnel is a Cisco router. RIP on the router was configured with the Palo tunnel interface as a RIP neighbor. On the Palo there is no place to define a neighbor under RIP. I do not see any packets dropped for RIP but never see the RIP peer over the tunnel. I am running RIP internal between the PA and a L3 switch which is working fine. on my RIP configuration for the tunnel interface I am not advertising. When I had advertising selected phase two of the tunnel would not stay up. The cisco router was getting routing errors and dropping the tunnel.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!