Recommended Software release

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Recommended Software release

L1 Bithead

Hi PAN Community!

I'm just wondering if there's a dedicated page/link I can refer to if I want to confirm if a certain release is recommended or not. I don't want to raise a TAC case everytime. Thanks!

3 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Community Team Member

Hi @micahacruz,

You can also raise your question here :

Today's recommended releases per branch :

For PAN-OS

For Panorama on VM / VM-100 / VM-500

WF-500

Traps

GlobalProtect

UID

Cheers !

-Kiwi

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

Hello @micahacruz,

Another thing to consider is what fixes and known vulnerabilities exist in the current version youare running and what version ou plan on going to. I highly recommend reading the release notes, they are pretty thorough as compared to other companies release notes. 

For my company, we have a 30 day remediation requirement for any known vulnerabilities. Right now we are on the latest 8.0.x and dont seem to have any issues.

Cheers!

I see there's a lot of fixes in 8.0.12 -- so are they now recommending 8.0.12 for install or is it too fresh and they're going with 8.0.11-h1? Or because 8.0.11-h1 was a rushed hotfix, should I continue to recommend 8.0.10?

Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34

Community Team Member

Hi @micahacruz,

You can also raise your question here :

Today's recommended releases per branch :

For PAN-OS

For Panorama on VM / VM-100 / VM-500

WF-500

Traps

GlobalProtect

UID

Cheers !

-Kiwi

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

I'll second the request that TAC maintain a permanent kb type page with the current recommended releases.  This is helpful for upgrade planning.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

I'll third this request. 

While I have a lab enviroment where I can properly test all software releases and verify they'll work for us, I know that many users don't. Having a simple webpage to refer to, or even a little symbol on the 'software' page on the support webpage would be a much better user experiance than having to contact TAC simply to get the recommended software release. 

L1 Bithead
My experience with PAN community is amazing so far, but it will be less time consuming if they'll make it available to the public.

@kiwi

I am currently on the globalprotect client version 4.0, and am planning to move to some version of 8.0 this summer. 1. will I have any issues with 4.0 2. Are there any lower version of GP that will not work with 8.0? I still have some users that are on some versions of 2.0 they so far are unwilling to upgrade

@jdprovine,

Currently the minimum supported version of the GlobalProtect Agent when using PAN-OS 8.0 is 4.0.0. 

@BPry

Well that might be how I get the rest of the users to upgrade to 4.0 LOL upgrade to 8

@jdprovine,

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it still functioned even after the upgrade. It definitely wouldn't be supported however, and any issues that you report the response from TAC would simply be 'upgrade'. 

Hello @micahacruz,

Another thing to consider is what fixes and known vulnerabilities exist in the current version youare running and what version ou plan on going to. I highly recommend reading the release notes, they are pretty thorough as compared to other companies release notes. 

For my company, we have a 30 day remediation requirement for any known vulnerabilities. Right now we are on the latest 8.0.x and dont seem to have any issues.

Cheers!

@BPry

Yes I have gotten that answer before from TAC.  I did do some testing on my own and found that some versions of GP have had a dramatic security changes and did not work with the newer versions of the OS's

Was this ever truly solved with a page with recommended software releases? What are the recommended releases as of today (5/23/18)?

@mans-paloalto-support,

Nope. You either contact us and we can let you know what was last reported by one of the community members or what we last recieved from TAC ourselves. 

PAN-OS 8.1.1 - This is not recommended, meaning you shouldn't be running it in production. If you must have the latest and greatest, run 8.1.1. 

PAN-OS 8.0.9 

PAN-OS 7.1.16

PAN-OS 6.1.20 (You should be upgrading, support runs out shortly). 

Please update with the current set of recommended OS versions.

@mans-paloalto-support,

PAN-OS 8.1.2 - This is not recommened, meaning you shouldn't be running it in production. If you must have the latest and greatest run 8.1.2 so you get the latest bug fixes with 8.1

PAN-OS 8.0.9 - 8.0.10 is released but has not yet entered recommended status

PAN-OS 7.1.17

PAN-OS 6.1.20 ( You should be upgrading) 

As you can see the recommended releases really hasn't changed; 8.1.* still does't have a recommended release and 8.0.10 is too new to actually get recommended status, although I haven't heard of anyone running into any issues with it. 

• 3 accepted solutions
  • 34 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!