Recommended Software release

L4 Transporter

Re: Recommended Software release

@BPry

Yes I have gotten that answer before from TAC.  I did do some testing on my own and found that some versions of GP have had a dramatic security changes and did not work with the newer versions of the OS's

Was this ever truly solved with a page with recommended software releases? What are the recommended releases as of today (5/23/18)?

L7 Applicator

@mans-paloalto-support,

Nope. You either contact us and we can let you know what was last reported by one of the community members or what we last recieved from TAC ourselves. 

PAN-OS 8.1.1 - This is not recommended, meaning you shouldn't be running it in production. If you must have the latest and greatest, run 8.1.1. 

PAN-OS 8.0.9 

PAN-OS 7.1.16

PAN-OS 6.1.20 (You should be upgrading, support runs out shortly). 

Please update with the current set of recommended OS versions.

L7 Applicator

@mans-paloalto-support,

PAN-OS 8.1.2 - This is not recommened, meaning you shouldn't be running it in production. If you must have the latest and greatest run 8.1.2 so you get the latest bug fixes with 8.1

PAN-OS 8.0.9 - 8.0.10 is released but has not yet entered recommended status

PAN-OS 7.1.17

PAN-OS 6.1.20 ( You should be upgrading) 

As you can see the recommended releases really hasn't changed; 8.1.* still does't have a recommended release and 8.0.10 is too new to actually get recommended status, although I haven't heard of anyone running into any issues with it. 

L7 Applicator

Is there consideration being given to creating a standing kb article of current recommended releases by platform?

With a commitment to valid and update monthly or quarterly.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
Highlighted
L7 Applicator

@pulukas,

I actually spoke to a few people at Ignite this year that are higher up in the chain ( in support ) and none of them really gave me a clear answer to why this hasn't been done already, outside of external KB articles and simply incorporating this into the actual support page. WIth the support page getting a refresh this would have been the perfect time to implement something like a 'Gold Star' recommended release icon similar to Cisco or other vendors. 

The best that I could understand is that PA doesn't really like saying that any one software release is truly 'recommended' as any software release really depends on the features that you are using on the firewall (which is 100% true); the general consensus was that customers should be able to ask their SE and they could recommend a release for the customer's particular environment. Sadly, that really isn't the case for most customers and I would say that the majority of the SEs assigned to people don't really have a full understanding of what their configuration looks like and what features that particular customer is using. It makes for a really nice idea that simply breaks down when you get too the real world. 

L7 Applicator

Thanks for pushing on this issue.  This really is an industry standard now to have such a recommendation based on support activity.  And making customer hunt for the right information does not help your reputation as a company at all.

As you note, we live in the real world.  Where newly released software has bugs and needs to be road tested by those who truely really need those new features while the rest of us follow when the bugs are crushed.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
L1 Bithead

Found this page searching for the same answer.   I presume that the list below is no longer accurate.   Can we please get this to a maintained KB article (with revision history would be great too).

L7 Applicator

@Quinn,

This list

PAN-OS 8.1.2 - This is not recommened, meaning you shouldn't be running it in production. If you must have the latest and greatest run 8.1.2 so you get the latest bug fixes with 8.1

PAN-OS 8.0.9 - 8.0.10 is released but has not yet entered recommended status

PAN-OS 7.1.17

PAN-OS 6.1.20 ( You should be upgrading) 

Cause yup this would still be current unless 8.0.10 has actually moved into a recommended status, but I haven't heard anything on that yet. 

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!