Remote access to serial console - how to do it?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Remote access to serial console - how to do it?

L4 Transporter

Hello

I know that we live in modern world, with smartphones dual ISP and HA and etc. but in some countries we have different reality Smiley Sad

I'm looking for solution how to connect to serial console of PA  firewalls remotelly using PSTN line.

The idea is to use phone line not any kind of internet access bacause internet access is broken or PA device is in broken state (last days I happend to me x3  times)

Connection could be:

laptop with analog modem <PSTN line> modem connected to PA device

something like on this link or that link

I havent any Cisco devices so I tryed this configuration with old HP switch and it partially working (modem automatically ansfer on phone connection). Modem is connected using 9 wire cable to switch.

As You know PA device using RJ45 connector which is 8 wire (hasn't linie 9 Ring Indicator).

I did some test with PA/Juniper/HP devices and every time modem didn't automatically respond to call (IMHO because it hasn't line 9).

Is anyone using such solution with PA or other devices?

The other solution that is on my mind it's a router with DD-WRT but I need two serial port for two router devices. I spent a lot of time for looking for device that has two serial ports and one USB (for GSM modem) supported by DD-WRT without success. This option will be good but reguire internet connection by GSM network witch cost some money every month. If such solution could be used as a trap reciever and SMS sender - OK it would be reasonable.

Please share you idea on such problem.

Sorry for my english.

With regards

SLawek

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

Hi SLV,

I just checked PA-200 Module, there is not Auxillary port. Hence two Cisco options are not possible because they need Aux port.

At best what you can do is:

PANW---Console Port---Console Cable ---Lapptop---Modem----PSTN.

I think above mentioned solution is the only doable option.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L4 Transporter

Hi

I was silly ... I thought that console port (serial port) is a Auxillary port.

I checked tech noie for PA3000 and PA5000 and noone has Auxillary port.Do I'm right?

So has anyone idea about dd-wrt and serial port with usb gsm stick?

Regards

Slawek

Yes, PAN does not have aux port, where you can connect that modem.

Thanks

Hi SLV,

We dont have AUX port with the firewall.

However it has USB port., it doesnt do anything when it comes to data transfer. Its for power supply of any USB device. Bottom line is USB port is not use for any kind of communication.

The only port for console access is serial port. Where you can have following deployment.

PANW---Console Port---Console Cable ---Lapptop---Modem----PSTN.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L7 Applicator

You can use console server products from companies like Lantronix to connect to the console port from either Ethernet or modem access.

Lantronix SLC - Console Server, Secure Console Server, Serial Console Server

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!