SSL Decrypt does NOT work with TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL Decrypt does NOT work with TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2

L4 Transporter

Hello,

I'm running a cluster of PA (4.0.8) with SSL Decryption configured.

SSL Decryption is not able to decrypt SSL traffic if the HTTPS session is using TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2.

Test with www.gmail.com   

Chrome : OK (see gmail application in the traffic log)

Firefox : idem

IE 8 or 9 with TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 DISABLED : idem

IE 8 or 9 with TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 ENABLED : see only SSL application

Is it solved in 4.1.6 (I plan to upgrade my cluster with this release) ??

Regards,

Hedi

21 REPLIES 21

L3 Networker

For now, TLS 1.1 and 1.2 Support in SSL decryption? Anybody knows about that?

Hello,

According to my local SE, TLS 1.2 decryption should be supported in release train 6.x...

Regards,

HA

Would this be valid for the whole range from PA-200 to PA-5000 or just specific models?

Like will PA-2000 and PA-4000 be exluded?

L4 Transporter

Hello, some news about tls 1.2 which belong to PAN-OS 6.0 previous releases of PAN-OS only supported TLS version 1.1. This release provides the Palo Alto Networks firewall with the ability to decrypt inbound sessions and forward proxy sessions that negotiate with TLS 1.2. With this release TLS 1.2 is enabled by default and cannot be disabled. This implementation includes the following details:  TLS 1.2 is supported as defined by RFC 5246.  The following additional cipher suites are supported: TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 and TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256.  Newer unsupported versions of TLS (1.3+) will be downgraded to 1.2 when used with the PAN-OS. without any limitation for specific models

Unfortunately  I have tested SSL Decryption with Site that supports TLS1.2 and PANOS 6.0.10 with the latest version of firefox (v38.0.5) and I get "Secure Connection Failed" because firefox 38 does not failback from TLS version 1.2 to TLS version 1.1 as mentioned in the following https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tls-error-reports

since TLS1.1 is considered insecure TLS version by mozilla foundation

It seems that the problem appears only if the Cipher suite of the site is TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 and SSL Decryption with TLS1.2. This does not apply for Cipher Suite TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 and TLS1.2/

L0 Member

WE are also experiencing the issue of some sites not decrypting and breaking through Firefox with TLS1.2

IS Palo Alto aware of this bug? And if so what is being done to correct it?

L0 Member

Same issue on PAN-OS 9.1.3.

please help!!!

• 21 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!