SSL Decryption - Firefox error: "sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL Decryption - Firefox error: "sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial"

L2 Linker

After turning on the SSL-Decryption, firefox tells me every moring after restart this error  "sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial", after deleleting the whole history and a restart of firefox it works, but that workaround every morning couldn't be the solution.

Anybody some suggestions??

thx

10 REPLIES 10

L4 Transporter

Hi,

when you get this message? when open any https websites or open the PA-WebGui?

if you get it with any https websites, please check the Trusted and Untrusted Certificates. Take a look:

ssl-certs.png

The Certificates are generated all from PA.

gateway.example.com = DNS entry with the IP of your internet breakout  at your PA

pa-webgui.example.com = DNS entry with the IP of your MGT from your PA

Export the RootCA certificate and import it in your firefox. And if you having more PAs with the same RootCA and WebGui certificates generated from you will always get the problem with FF when opening the WebGui. Try Chrome or IE.

Hi Hithead,

i had only one certificate for all purposes signed as a Subordinate-CA from my Organisation-CA???  IE has no problems with that, only FF.

hi,

FF has a problem with it. FF call it a "security feature" and IE ignore the  usage of the same CA on different sites. Difficult to explain.

But by the way: Do not use a trusted certificate with the option "forward trusted certificate". If a page is recognized as untrusted by the PA, the user will not be promoted with a certificate error. It will trust it. Generate a new certificate with PA, with the same values but do not choose an issuer (signed by) and select the usage "untrusted Certificate" for it.

"Do not use a trusted certificate with the option "forward trusted certificate".

Sorry I didn't really understand.

You mean "Do not use a trusted certificate with the option "forward untrusted certificate"?

oh, you are right 😃

I mean untrusted Smiley Happy

Okay :smileygrin:.  I have tested it and it looks good with the untrusted certificates.

And for the "security feature" in FF, i will look for a workaround Smiley Happy.

But I have one more question: Do you mean it's useful to work with OCSP-Responder or CRL-Lists? Any Ideas or best practice, because there are different meanings about that?

we don't activated that, because of a bug. But we will enable it soon again (with 6.0.2). Only crl . After enable it, you have to check the system logs, if your PA can download the crl .

BTW: read this https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/thread/8984

This has been fixed in 6.0.2 which has been released yesterday.

hi again,

okay i will test the OCSP with the new PAN-OS Version soon, but now I have another problem with the selfsigned certificate for the untrusted Certificates, because I get many certificate errors because the most intermediate CA's are not in the default trusted certificate list on the PA.

So what is the best way to solve the problem. It seems to be a little bit difficult to import all possible certificates for the Sub-CA's??

L4 Transporter

hi,

check your system and traffic logs (traffic logs from your MGT IP of PA). may you will find the some information what cannot be downloaded. Allow your PA to download the resources.

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!