SSL Expired Cert and SSL decryption

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL Expired Cert and SSL decryption

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

We have vendor site which we access.

Recently their SSL cert expired and when I try to access that website chrome shows cert is invalid and still in brower it shows

it is decrypting the website and i can see the PA cert there.

Traffic log shows isession end reason was policy deny?

Why PA shows cert as invalid or non trusted when vendor ssl cert is expired?

How does PA know that vendor ssl cert is expired?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
11 REPLIES 11

Community Team Member

Hi @MP18 ,

You probably do not block sessions with expired certificates as shown in the image below :

ssl-forward-proxy-best-practice-81.png

Block sessions with expired certificates—Always check this box to block sessions with servers that have expired certificates and prevent access to potentially insecure sites. If you don’t check this box, users can connect with and transact with potentially malicious sites and see warning messages when they attempt to connect, but the connection is not prevented.

For forward SSL Proxy, the validity date on the Palo Alto Networks firewall generated certificate is taken from the validity date on the real server certificate.  (SSL FORWARD PROXY).

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MP18,

The firewall will decrypt all of the traffic regardless of certificate status, but it will utilize the 'Forward untrust Certificate' instead of the 'Forward Trust Certificate'. If it's denying the traffic it means that your decryption profile likely has the 'Block sessions with expired certificates' checked. 

Why PA shows cert as invalid or non trusted when vendor ssl cert is expired?

Because if a certificate is expired it is no longer trusted, even though it was issued by a trusted issuer.

How does PA know that vendor ssl cert is expired?

When proxying the connection the firewall reads the certificate of the website to issue a certificate for the site on the fly, so your clients actually trust the connection.

For decryption Profile 

Block expired certs is unchecked then also my session was blocked

MP

For decryption Profile 

Block expired certs is unchecked then also my session was blocked?

MP

Is it actually being blocked and you're getting a firewall block page?

Or are you saying that your browser shows the certificate as expired even though the firewall is decrypting it?

If it's the latter, that is expected. The firewall copies values from the server's certificate to create the decryption certificate. It takes the Subject and the Validity Period values, so if the server's cert or common name/sni are "bad" then the decrypted version will be "bad" as well.

I am  saying that my browser shows the certificate as expired even though the firewall is decrypting it-- yes

Traffic log shows session end reason as policy deny

So if traffic log shows policy deny then it is normal behaviour right?

MP

I apologize, I completely missed that in your original post. 

No, if you see policy deny, then that session was definitely denied. What is the user experience when this happens? Can the site be browsed as normal if you proceed past the certificate warning? If you can browse normally then the denied session is likely not all that important.

I hate leaving something like that unknown, but it all depends on how much time you want to put into research if the user experience is fine.

No user were unable to go beyond the cert warning page.

There was no option to click  on proceed further.

During that time i did pcap on PA it shows no drops.

I see fw,tx and re stages.

Anything i should check in pcaps?

MP

There are some debugs, but they can be dangerous to turn on because of the volume of logs it generates (flow basic + proxy basic). I highly recommend opening a case with support to go through the policy and config to see if they can help with a review of your system before diving in to the debugs.

@MP18,

So one thing you would really want to verify here is if the user is actually getting a firewall block page. If the firewall is generating a block page then I would think that the decryption profile for the decryption policy would actually have the option checked or something is missreading the configuration.

There are some browsers, safari being the most prevelent I get reports for, that simply won't allow a user to bypass the certificate warning regardless of the traffic being decrypted. 

I wouldn't expect to see a policy-deny as the session end reason for traffic that has been denied due to the decryption profile, that should end with SER 'decrypt-cert-validation' and the user should get the proper response page from the firewall unless you've disabled it. 

No Firewall does not generate  any block page.

Users were using the google chrome browser.

Runing PAN OS 8.0.15.

MP

• 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!