SSL/TLS vs. Chrome [missing_subjectAltName]

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL/TLS vs. Chrome [missing_subjectAltName]

L2 Linker

I'm trying to get rid of the warning when I open the PA GUI from Chrome. I'm getting the following warning:

• This server could not prove that it is 192.168.10.4; its security certificate is from [missing_subjectAltName]

First of all, IE is fine, no errors!

I have generated the certificate and imported it as my trusted Root CA:cert import.JPG

I have also created a certificate profile (called it GUI) under "Device -> Certificate Managemenet- > SSL/TLS Service Profile", which used the ceriticate above.

Then I went to "Device -> Setup -> Managemenet -> SSL/TLS Service Profile" and chose "GUI" (the cerifcate profile above).

However, Google Chrome does not like it. Off course if I ignore the warning, it works no problem.

Any ideas what I'm missing, or why google doesn't like me?!

Thanks!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

When you generate your certificate, it needs a Subject Alternative Name field for Chrome to play nicely with it. As far as I know, Chrome is the only browser to officially deprecate the Common Name, but Safari and Opera are both based on WebKit, the guts behind Chrome, so I imagine it will be soon that they follow suit.

Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox don't enforce this, so they'll likely be fine for a while.

On the firewall, you can generate that by using the two available fields in the certificate generation section:

cert-create.jpg

The Host Name, IP, and Alt Email fields are all Subject Alternative Name fields, and adding any of them is sufficient to avoid that error. I would recommend matching the CN that you created, unless you really do want to access it with a DNS name, in which case just put that DNS name in the "Host Name" field.

If you're generating the cert elsewhere, you will need to figure out how to add the SAN field with that certificate provider.

Best regards,

Greg Wesson

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

When you generate your certificate, it needs a Subject Alternative Name field for Chrome to play nicely with it. As far as I know, Chrome is the only browser to officially deprecate the Common Name, but Safari and Opera are both based on WebKit, the guts behind Chrome, so I imagine it will be soon that they follow suit.

Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox don't enforce this, so they'll likely be fine for a while.

On the firewall, you can generate that by using the two available fields in the certificate generation section:

cert-create.jpg

The Host Name, IP, and Alt Email fields are all Subject Alternative Name fields, and adding any of them is sufficient to avoid that error. I would recommend matching the CN that you created, unless you really do want to access it with a DNS name, in which case just put that DNS name in the "Host Name" field.

If you're generating the cert elsewhere, you will need to figure out how to add the SAN field with that certificate provider.

Best regards,

Greg Wesson

Ha! That was easy! Thanks a lot. I've had this issue for months, but I just kept postponing it. 

PS: since I'm using the PA as DNS Proxy, I created a static entry for the name I created (pa.local) and as used that for CN and Hostname. Works like a charm!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!