SSL based custom application also seen as SSL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL based custom application also seen as SSL

L0 Member

Hi,

I set up an SSL based custom application for a specific web application in the company.

I followed this document :

But when I look at the traffic logs, for every connection to this application I have :

- 1 log that shows traffic as "ssl" application,

- 1 log that shows traffic as my custom application.

07/23 18:11:18    traffic    start    ssl    allow    knownuser    680    4    

07/23 18:11:18    traffic    start    custom-app    allow    knownuser    1,052    7

Is it normal ? Is there a solution to make PAN-OS show just my custom application ?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

When you log at session start as you are doing, you'll see the application as shown at the start of the session rather than after the application has received enough packets to be correctly identified.

In the two you linked, the first (as 'ssl') is showing 4 packets - syn; syn,ack; ack; client hello. That is enough packets to identify it initially as SSL, so we install the session and write the log.

The next entry is 7 packets, and is enough to determine the full application based on the custom app you defined.

In general, a log at session start is good for troubleshooting. It tends to lead to a lot of unnecessary logging other times so I generally only recommend logging at session end so you can see completed information.

Hope this helps,

Greg

L0 Member

Hi,

Indeed, it makes sense. Thanks for the detailed answer.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!