Secondary IP and DHCP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Secondary IP and DHCP

Not applicable

Greetings,

Say we have an interface that is configred the following way:

e1/2.240

Tag: 240

IPv4 Address (two addresses on the interface):

-10.10.100.1/24

-192.168.100.1/24

Now, if that interface is configured as a DHCP relay, which network is it going to send in the relay request? 

9 REPLIES 9

L5 Sessionator

mrsold

Could you please explain your query in more detail ?

I think DHCP requests will be accepted for both networks and will be forwarded to DHCP server ?

Not applicable

bat wrote:

mrsold

Could you please explain your query in more detail ?

I think DHCP requests will be accepted for both networks and will be forwarded to DHCP server ?

If I have both of those IPs on the interface, and I have scopes built for both of those networks, does it relay to both of those subnets?  Wait until one is exhausted and there is no response?

L4 Transporter

Hi mrsold

It will only relay for one subnet.

The interface address used to relay the DHCP request (and therefore determine which DHCP scope will be used) is the IP address at the top of the list on your IPv4 tab.

You can adjust the positioning of IP addresses on this tab using the move up/down options should you wish.

Regards,

Dave

dyoung wrote:

Hi mrsold

It will only relay for one subnet.

The interface address used to relay the DHCP request (and therefore determine which DHCP scope will be used) is the IP address at the top of the list on your IPv4 tab.

You can adjust the positioning of IP addresses on this tab using the move up/down options should you wish.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks dyoung - do you know if this is documented anywhere?

Hi mrsold, no I've not seen this officially documented anywhere.

Hi mrsold,

we can confirm the behaviour described from dyoung, we have PA-7050 as a core-router for several vlans with also dhcp-relay and secondary-IP in use.

The key to solve this issue is that the DHCP server (Bluecat IPAM here) must be able to handle two scopes (the primary IP and seconary) when DHCP requests are received from one IP (in that case the primary IP from the interface-config in the PA used for DHCP relay)

Best,

Ulrich

Hi mrsold,

if you happen to use ISC dhcpd look for the shared-network statement use to join together subnets sharing the same L2 segment. ISC dhcpd is actually the motor for most IPAM appliances like Bluecat, Infoblox, ...

Best regards

Winfried

L0 Member

old thread but may help someone that runs into this issue that works in a M$ shop..

use Super Scopes in M$ DHCP

L0 Member

The DHCP relay agent to use secondary IP addresses when the DHCP server does not reply the DHCP-OFFER message. The relay agent initially encapsulates its primary IP address to the giaddr field before forwarding a request to the DHCP server.

But I Did not find any option to enable the smart relay option in PA, whereas I tried with Fortigate it is working 

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!