Setting up Orion NPM to monitor PA-2050 via SNMP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Setting up Orion NPM to monitor PA-2050 via SNMP

Not applicable

Hi,

I'm new to setting up SNMP and need help.

Our Network Engineers need to setup their Orion NPM to monitor our 3 Palo Alto 2050's via SNMP.

They basically only need to monitor CPU, Memory, and Link States of the 3 interfaces hooked up for each of the 3 Palo Alto 2050's we have setup.

Can someone walk me through this as far as how to setup community string on PA-2050 side and how to load the MIB modules? I'm pretty new at this so not sure how this works exactly.

Do the MIB modules need to be loaded on the PA side or the Orion NPM side.

Any help you can provide would be of great help to me.

Thanks.

BA

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable

Still I am not sure how to monitor CPU usage. but I can advice you how to setup PA to connect to solarwinds.

1. Device -> setup and speficy the "SNMP Community String" (use same strings as solarwinds)
2. Device -> server profile -> SNMP trap Destination and speficy the solarwinds server ip details
2. Device -> log setting -> system and map the trap destination.

after this you can PA device to solarwinds. this is how I did it..

please let me know if there anything wrong.

L4 Transporter

You can download the only MIB provided by Paloalto Networks from this support portal. The MIB does not provide for Memory or CPU monitoring. You can however monitor interfaces and several other aspects of the device. You will need to import the MIB into your SNMP monotoring package and compile it. I have no first hand experience with Orion but I would expect it to conform to other typical SNMP tools. You do not load the MIB on the PA.

Thanks,

Phil

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!