Simplest way to limit bandwidth for internet browsing to preserve for VOIP traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Simplest way to limit bandwidth for internet browsing to preserve for VOIP traffic

L1 Bithead

Here's my situation.  We recently went live with a hosted VOIP system (CallTower hosted Cisco UC). We are relocating our office in a few months so we decided not to put in a dedicated circuit for voice and instead use our 20 meg DIA connection. 

We have a PA-200, my guess is about 20 to 30 users max using the internet concurrently and same with phones. 

We have a Cisco ASA 5505 that is bypassing the PA-200 and making a direct VPN connection to CallTower and carrying the voice traffic.  Since the PA-200 is not directly connected to the ASA - I don't think I can take advantage of the QOS policies for the VOIP traffic; however, I would like to put a limit on the amount of bandwidth used for Internet browsing/uploads and downloads, so that our bandwidth doesn't get maxed out if someone decides to download a large file and compromise the VOIP quality.   

Is there an easy way to use the QOS profile/policy to limit internet traffic (ingress/egress) for an IP address range so we can preserve enough bandwidth for the ASA to use to carry the VOIP traffic? 

Thanks for any advice. 

1 REPLY 1

L5 Sessionator

Yes you can configure QOS policies for a subnet or ip addresses.

Step 1 Configure QOS profile

QOS_Profile.png

Step 2 QOS policy

Specify the traffic on which you have to apply  the QOS

QOS_Policy.png

Step 3 Appy the QOS:

Main task is while applying the QOS: In this example ethernet1/2 is LAN interface and ethernet1/1 is WAN interface

QOS_Apply .png

For downloading apply the QOS on ethernet1/2 and for upload apply the QOS on ethernet1/1

Refer to the docs:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Documentation-Articles/QoS-in-PAN-OS-4-1/ta-p/56051

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/Incorrect-QoS-Configuration-Caused-Netwo...

Hope this helps

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!