Sizing PA Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Sizing PA Devices

L2 Linker

I need to know if there is any report/graf in PA that shows the throughput peak, simultaneus session peak, in a custom time period. This would be great for sizing equipment after analizing the traffic of a costumer during some days. It will be very usefull to know how are you using your equipment and the grow prosibilities you have.

I have been looking in PA reports and found no information about throuput, session, cpd usage peaks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Albert

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

I think there would be some custom report you should be able to setup to get these figures but I guess you want them more in realtime?

Using netflow export could be one way to achieve this, otherwise I think snmp is the way to go (device -> setup -> operations). The PAN-MIB modules are available at the Technical Documentation page here at support.paloaltonetworks.com.

In PAN-COMMON-MIB.my you have stuff such as (shortened):

-- Session

panSessionUtilization OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Session table utilization percentage. Values should
            be between 0 and 100."

panSessionMax OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Total number of sessions supported."

panSessionActive OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Total number of active sessions."

panSessionActiveTcp OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Total number of active TCP sessions."

panSessionActiveUdp OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Total number of active UDP sessions."

panSessionActiveICMP OBJECT-TYPE
        DESCRIPTION
            "Total number of active ICMP sessions."

Once you have the utilization over time you can check the datasheets to select a proper hardware depending on wallet size and stuff like that 😃

Thanks for the answer, but what i really want to know if there is any historic of the throughput, sessions and cpu usage.

I don't know if i have a PAN device connected in tap mode during 1 week and i want to know the maximum concurrent sessions, througput or cpu usage it had during this week. I could no find something like that in custom reports. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

You might consider using SNMP / Cacti for that, maybe not the answer you were looking for, but IMO those are ideal for this kind of monitoring. That's what I personally use.

We are using PRTG for long term monitoring cpu, bandwidth, sessions etc. of our PA boxes. I can highly recommend PRTG very easy to setup and use also for netflow data exports and all kind of other stuff including xml API to talk to PA.

13-03-2012 23-20-02.png

13-03-2012 23-25-05.png

13-03-2012 23-27-12.png

Roland

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!