Slow throughput on newly installed PA-820

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Slow throughput on newly installed PA-820

L2 Linker

Hello all...I have a newly installed HA pair of PA-820.  Our ISP circuit is 50Mbps/50Mbps.  Testing from a LAN pc, I am only able to download a max of 14Mbps using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net.  I have called Palo Alto support and they suggested setting up QOS on my WAN interface and setting the speed to 50Mbps on the interface.

The slow downloads occur if I have av, spyware, etc on or off.

Any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9

L1 Bithead

Hi @Networking2017

50Mbps for the PA820 with all feature enable it's easy work for CPUs

I would investigate the network configuration and the negotiation interfaces.

Thanks for your feedback.  The interfaces check out and don't show errors.  Also, my upload speed is fine.

I plug in a laptop tot he same ISP switch and get full download and upload speeds.  It is only when connecting through the Palo Alto that I get slow download speeds.

Hello,

I am assuming you have checked the speed/duplex configurations on both the ISP device and PAN?

Regards,

Yes, the interfaces look good.  All hard coded at 100Mbps Full.

No itnerface errors.

Hello,

I am going to assume you mean hard coded on both sides, the PAN and other interface? 

Regards,

Yes, both side of the PAN.  All involved interfaces have been checked.

Hmm, perhaps its time to open a support case?

True.  I have had a case open for 10 days.  Their solution is to enable QOS?  Not sure how this makes sense.

speedtest.net is weird. Because of having the PA hanging between it will show very bad results, i guess it has to do with how speedtest determines throughput. I have created an extra policy that excepts speedtest.net from any scanning. Since AppID on speedtest is currently incomplete (paypload is not recognized) i created a custom appID for it (http header looking for speedtest). It now shows desired (full) bandwith. Use nperf.com instead if you don't want to create a policy for that.

TL;DR don't trust speedtest.net results when using PA security on it. Use nperf.com instead.

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!