Standby Palo Alto Restarted automatically

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Standby Palo Alto Restarted automatically

L0 Member

Dear Experts,

One of our PA firewall (2050) model that was in standby mode , restarted automatically. After checking the system logs , i found the message ( in sequence) as shown below.

1. 'md_mgr-apps: restarts exhausted, rebooting system'

2. 'The system is shutting down'

3. 'HA Group 1: Moved from state Passive to state Suspended'

Could you please assist me to indentify/clarify the below

1. What is the role of "md_mgr-apps" process in PA firewall ?

2.What could be cause of the restart of PA firewall , eventhough there is no change of high resource usage as this was in standby mode ?

3. Is it something that i should take the action now , so that the similar issue will not happen on Active Firewall ?

Please advice.

Best Regards,

Shiji

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

What PANOS version are you on ?

I had that happen to a pair of VM-200's on PANOS-7.1.4.

Get tech support file and send to support and they can confirm stack trace to see whether it fits the same bug I have.

Will be fixed in 7.1.5 or you can downgrade to 7.1.3 (if it's the same bug).

Thanks Mic for your reply.

The software version that is running on my PA 2050 is PAN OS 5.0.9 and this is the first time i am facing this automatic restart of box.

The strange issue is , it happened only on standby box that is not processing any data traffic at the moment.

Do you beleive my software version could have the same bug that found on OS 7.1.4.

Kindly advice.

Kind Regards,

Shiji

5.0.9.. that is mighty old.

Same issue ?.. unlikely.. but only way to tell is get support a tech support file (https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/How-to-Generate-and-Upload-a-Tech-Support-Fil...) and get them to check stack trace from spontaneously rebooting passive member to see if it's related.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!