Starting with Palo Alto Networks - What I wish I had known...

L4 Transporter

Re: Starting with Palo Alto Networks - What I wish I had known...

And the WINNERS SO FAR ARE:

Published in LiveWeek 12 Friday April 7th 2017.

Your time to share - "What I wish I had known"

Community is all about sharing ideas and best practices.  Whether you started your Palo Alto Networks journey years ago or just last month, your experience can really help others.  Share your story with other Live users

Thanks to @santonic@DPoppleton@BPry and @jjb3k for all the valuable insight - each user will receive the hot off the press Live Community t-shirt!

Keep sharing - more t-shirts to grab!

L3 Networker

Do you need any info from me for the shirt?

L3 Networker

Hi,

Beginning are always clumsy, but one of the first things I was impressed - community and knowledge base articles. I cannot stress enough how many times articles around here have helped me to get around some issues or simply get to know some feature.

Anyway, when I got into PA firewalling, it all looked nice and shiny and overall easy to deal with, so it felt good, but some things I've learned over time:

..and there are definitely other things, but as you see all of these are well described in Live community - you still have to find them though. :)

L5 Sessionator

Thanx @carnould for the t-shirt! it arrived quickly! :)

Highlighted
L2 Linker

"What I wish I had known" that a complex administration appliance (Panorama) will help me in one or two clicks to apply configuration changes to almost 100 firewalls in a few seconds and not go firewall by firewall that used to take me a few hours, now it makes our company happier and more secure, quick example would be deploying an emergency content updated. WAY FASTER, thanks to Palo Alto Panorama :). 

P.S: Almost all of my questions or steps by steps procedures (Like 80% of the time) are here in the community. 

L4 Transporter

Hi @DPoppleton, Could you check your inbox or spam folder? I sent you an email on 4/7.  If you can't find it, send me an email at carnould@paloaltonetworks.com.  Thanks! Christine

L2 Linker

The difference between FUEL Palo Alto User Group, and LIVEcommunity?  

L1 Bithead

I wish I had time to utilize all the CBT training resources available and build a cheap lab.

cbt nuggets  - good source of basic training

Udemy has some great training as well and it is cheap and easy to follow. 

Access to a long term demo vmware version of PANOS for training would be helpful, I know we can get these through our sales channel but would love to get a good usable free VM to use with all options and limited connectivity. 

Also I came from a networking background but hear stories of information security folks who do not and they have problems learning the networking basics. The ACE is decent but needs more teeth and something like network + or CCNA type certs should be required.. 

L3 Networker

wow - many things...I  wish I knew then

1 - Sys logs (not packet cap nor widgets) for VPN troubleshooting

2 - when reading Traffic logs - open detailed view then bottom has firewall policy - missed that first 2-3 months

3 - reports are useful - there are many canned reports that i could schedule...

---side note - cant always make the custom report look like the canned report

4 - add widgets for anything you want to have a quick peak

5 - ACC - build custom tabs to monitor tricky scenarios over many days/weeks

6 - VPN to Cisco not as easy as other vendors - fortunatley there is a document for that

7 - newapps - started when we had 1000 or so - they keep coming and if I'm not on top of them and reading the release notes I can easily/accidentally block something ( default action) that we needed

8 - and a biggie - read the notes when a commit fails/or succeeds and there is a bunch words after.... commit succeeded but.......

9 - one i miss - no POLICY hit count - had in other vendors

10 - not an easy way to see ip to user-ID in the GUI

just a few off the top of my head - still enjoy working with these boxes tho

of 2 more

test policyies and other items  from cli - nice

L2 Linker

Wish I had known you could open a medium priorty support case and not get a response for over a week.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!