Static Route ECMP Monitoring upstream

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Static Route ECMP Monitoring upstream

L1 Bithead

Hi All, 

Probably a quick question. I am attempting to implement ECMP with two static routes. Such as:

ECMP on

e1/1 = 192.168.255.9/29

route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.255.11

route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.255.12

My question is, if 192.168.255.11 is unavailble, will the PAN remove that route as a vaiable route? Or do I have to use a dynamic routing protocol like ospf to protect against traffic being routed to a router that doesn't exist.

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

ECMP Dynamically shift traffic to another ECMP member to the same destination if a link fails, rather than having
to wait for the routing protocol or RIB table to elect an alternative path/route.

Both next-hop destinations share the same VLAN, so does PAN rely solely on the PAN's interface link state(e1/2 UP/DOWN) or does it check each next-hop via a ICMP ping or something?

You have to use dynamic routing protocol, there is no ping check with ECMP yet in 7.0.X.

With ECMP, the route will be withdaw only if the interface state goes down.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!