Troubleshooting random GlobalProtect disconnects...

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Troubleshooting random GlobalProtect disconnects...

Hello. i have been experiencing random GlobalProtect disconnects on my home computer.  I'm running Windows 10 [1909] with GlobalProtect 5.0.8 64-bit connecting back to my office's Palo Alto firewall (not 100% sure of the version). A few times a day, GlobalProtect will just disconnect on its own. I am typically running a Remote Desktop Connection from my home PC to my work PC when this happens and the RD session will freeze and disconnect as well.  I started collecting logs when this happens but dont really know how to parse them.  I have noticed a few things in various logs.   

• In the  pan_gp_event log, i see an Info message "Tunnel is down due to network change."
  • In the PanGPA log, i see the Info message "Window session changed with state 7", followed by several Debug log entries.
    • Debug(2825): user session locked.
    • Debug( 669): balltip, m_hipMsg=00000171893379A0
    • Debug( 672): balltip, getcount return 0
    • Debug( 766): CAC, type is 8004, data=0000006C7E4FF7C0
    • Debug( 810): CAC, DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE, device type=00000005, cacUnplugLogout=0
    • Debug( 851): CAC, do nothing for device remove message
    • (NOTE: Those last three repeat a dozen or so times).
    • Debug( 93): Received data from Pan Service
    • Debug( 172): username field is not empty. not override the username.
    • Debug( 193): CPanBaseReceiver::HandleStatus - found discover-ready tag. value = y.
    • Then i get a message that says "Gateway <portal address>: Checking network availability and restoring VPN connection when network is available.
    • Then some messages about trying to restore the connection
  • In the PanGPS log i see a Debug message "Received session change, event type 7, session 1" followed by and Info message "lock off  session 1"

How would you recommend troubleshooting these disconnects.  I'm not familiar enough with the firewall side of things to know how to look at any logging on that side.  Is the issue with my home computer/OS/hardware/network?  or is it likely something in GlobalProtect and/or Palo Alto that needs attention?

Thank You!

Highlighted
L7 Applicator

Re: Troubleshooting random GlobalProtect disconnects...

-Firstly I would go for the info in the PanGPS log on the local device.and perhaps paste more info.

also check your PC event viewer - Applications and Service Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Wlan-Autoconfig. operational to see if wifi is playing up.

the palo alto system logs @ Monitor/system  may suggest why this happened.  i normally see a client disconnect message but at least you then know it's not a firewall issue.

Highlighted
L0 Member

Did you find a solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Thank you for the suggestions.  Soon after i entered the request, i got stuck at work for the last three weeks and couldn't use GlobalProtect from home at all so i never got around to trying your suggestions.  I'm finally home for the weekend and will look for those logs you mentioned and will paste them here after my next disconnect.  

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

I didnt find a solution yet. but now my whole company is using this product so i better find one really really soon. Hope to get some use out of it this weekend.  I'll post back as soon as i have new info/

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!