URL Category Action = None?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Category Action = None?

L0 Member

Hmm, Page 148 of the 4.0 Admin Guide lists all the category actions except 'none'.

What is 'none'? It doesn't seem to do anything. If i select it and click OK, the action has gone back to 'allow' when I reopen the URL profile.

I have two main pools of users: employees and students.

I'd like to make custom URL categories for employee-block, employee-allow, student-block, and student-allow to hold local exceptions where we overrule BrightCloud. Means I can enter once and use in multiple places instead of putting local exceptions directly in the 'block list' and allow list' multiple times.

When I edit the URL Filtering Profile for Employees I'd like it to completely ignore the two student categories. Same in reverse for the Student URL Profile.

Scott Bremner

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

@sbremmer:

none = take no action which is equivalent to "allow"

You will need to approach your configuration challenges slightly differently than you have outlined in your post.

In most environments employees will be allowed to do more than students. With this in mind you could make sure that the URL profile for students is blocking the employee categories and that the URL profile for employees is allowing the student category.

And if this seems overly cumbersome you can always talk to your sales team and submit a feature request with them to modify how the feature is implemented on the Palo Alto Networks products.

-Benjamin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

@sbremmer:

none = take no action which is equivalent to "allow"

You will need to approach your configuration challenges slightly differently than you have outlined in your post.

In most environments employees will be allowed to do more than students. With this in mind you could make sure that the URL profile for students is blocking the employee categories and that the URL profile for employees is allowing the student category.

And if this seems overly cumbersome you can always talk to your sales team and submit a feature request with them to modify how the feature is implemented on the Palo Alto Networks products.

-Benjamin

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!