URL Filtering and DNS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filtering and DNS

Not applicable

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if the URL Filtering detects domians in DNS requests and can take actions based on a domain in a DNS request (ie. blocking). I would like to move some of my DNS sinkhole activity to the Palo Alto 5020, but i'm unsure if this is a viable option with URL filtering.

Thanks in advance!

-sc

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Hi...URL Filtering is applied to web browsing traffic and not to DNS requests.  In PAN-OS 5.x, DNS botnet signatures are supported as part of the threat prevention license.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Hi...URL Filtering is applied to web browsing traffic and not to DNS requests.  In PAN-OS 5.x, DNS botnet signatures are supported as part of the threat prevention license.  Thanks.

Thanks Rmonvon,

Do you know if DNS sinkholing can be implemented on the Palos? Thanks!

-sc

As already mentioned the URL filtering is based on the the contents of the actual http request.

However in PA there is also a DNS-proxy feature which I think might be able to be used to sinkhole various domains, see some info in

The admin guide has a better description regarding settings of the dns-proxy feature.

In my opinion the best option is to use your own dns-servers (place in DMZ) and perform the sinkholing in them.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!