URL filtering - proper format of URLs in the block list

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL filtering - proper format of URLs in the block list

Hello everyone,

Blocking the URL below would be in the right format? Without the http:// or https://

www.spotify.com/sg-en/download/other

It just got me confused a bit with the "TIP" displayed in the URL Filtering Profile screen, putting a slash at the end would match www.example.com/test; where the user only wants to block www.example.com.

The tip says:

Use separators to specify match criteria - for example, "www.example.com/" will match "www.example.com/test" but not match "www.example.com.hk"

Please share your thoughts and thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

I believe your Spotify example is in the proper format and would block anything at that directory level or under it.

It should not, however, block anything higher such as www.spotify.com/sg-en/download or www.spotify.com itself.

The tip example I think is mostly about dealing with the domain names themselves.  Since it seems like it is basically just a match with an assumed wildcard at the end, if you don't add the "/" to "www.example.com" then you'd block ANY directories under that domain but you'd also block that domain with other country codes (just like their example that uses the Hong Kong ".hk" country code).  Adding the "/" tells it you want to block directories under "www.example.com" but still allow access to that domain using other country codes such as "www.example.com.hk".

To use that example further, I imagine you could block "www.example.com." which would block any domain with that name that uses a country code but still allow access to www.example.com and all of its directories.

Hey @jsalmans thanks a lot for your elaborate insights about my question.

I just blocked it with this format *.spotify.com and it also blocked all other sub-directories under that root website.

Thanks again.

• 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!