Understanding Top Attackers Report

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Understanding Top Attackers Report

L1 Bithead

Hello,

The Top Attackers reports lists:

• Source Address
  • Source Host Name
  • Source User
  • Count

In a report I ran, all of our source addresses are internal addresses.  Why is that?  Is the report more of a top talkers report than an attackers report?  In other words, is the report more of a list high activity accounts or addresses? 

Is the Count the number of sessions the source address has had?

Thanks!!

Jeff

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in my response. You are correct. Its a list of counters based on the evetns that are triggered on the PAN. As an example, our internal scanners and monitoring solution are always at the top due to the nature of how they operate.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Check ACC > Threat Activity

Most likely top threats are "Suspicious TLS Evasion Found" and "Suspicious HTTP Evasion Found"

If your firewall is not set up as DNS proxy then it does not know if HTTP/SSL requests done by internal devices are going to valid IPs or someone is trying to spoof traffic to get through firewall URL filtering.

So those attempts count against your internal users as attackers.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Would you be able to post a snippet of the report so we can better assist?

Regards,

Thanks for the reply, Otakar.

I ran a Top Attackers report through the Email Scheduler, but I ran another one using Reports and exported it to a CSV file so I could change the source address, source host name, and source user.  But what's in the screen shot is the only information in the report.  It does not list a destination.  Thanks for the help.

Top Attackers.JPG

So is the Top Attackers report more of a top talkers report?  The Top Attackers report only lists source and count information.  So it seems to report about how active a source is, instead of specifically how many attacks it has done.  Again, all of the source IPs were internal in our report.  Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Jeff

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in my response. You are correct. Its a list of counters based on the evetns that are triggered on the PAN. As an example, our internal scanners and monitoring solution are always at the top due to the nature of how they operate.

Hope that helps.

Check ACC > Threat Activity

Most likely top threats are "Suspicious TLS Evasion Found" and "Suspicious HTTP Evasion Found"

If your firewall is not set up as DNS proxy then it does not know if HTTP/SSL requests done by internal devices are going to valid IPs or someone is trying to spoof traffic to get through firewall URL filtering.

So those attempts count against your internal users as attackers.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Thanks!  Appreciate the reply!  So the title of the predefined report is misleading.

Okay.  Thanks for the explanation, Raido!

L1 Bithead

Greetings! Is there a way to exclude vulnerability scanners or certain IP's from the Panorama "Top Attacker Sources" report section?

CISSP, CCSP, CISA, CISM
  • 2 accepted solutions
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!