I'm doing some maintenance work on a PA2020 and just found out that it is way out-of-date. The software release is 3.0.6 and the other updates Threat and Apps is nonexistent...
What is the recommended upgrade procedure for this? I would like to take this to 3.1.8
Should I export the configuration and do a factory-reset to release 3.1.8 or should I try to upgrade direclty to 3.1.8?
Thanks for your comments.
It will be a two step process to upgrade up to 3.1.8 from 3.0.6
You will need to download 3.1.0 and install and then upgrade to 3.1.8. Remember to upgrade your content version to at least 156 before you upgrade or the process will not complete.
Per the release notes
Update your content version
1. Navigate to the Device tab in the web interface and click the Dynamic Updates link.
2. Click Refresh to retrieve the currently available updates that can be installed.
3. Download the latest update to the device by clicking the Download link in the row corresponding to the latest update.
4. Once downloaded, click the Install link to perform the update.
Then update to 3.1.0
1. Ensure the device is connected to a reliable power source as a loss of power during the upgrade could make the device unusable.
2. Save a config backup by clicking Save named config snapshot. This can be used to restore the configuration in the event of a migration failure.
3. Navigate to the Device tab in the web interface and click the Software link.
4. Click Refresh to retrieve the currently available releases that can be installed.
5. Locate the latest release3.1.0 and download it to the device by clicking the Download link in the row corresponding to it.
6. Once downloaded, click the Install link to perform the upgrade.
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 again for version 3.1.8
Let us know how it turns out.
Refer to: PAN-OS 3.1.8 Release Notes
just to update that this operation ran perfectly with only 2 minor hickups.
One failed reboot from 3.0.6 to 3.1.0, the equipment stalled and after 10 minutes I had to power cycle it. And a "ghost" parameter on the Captive Portal (transparent) that appeared from release 3.1.0 to 3.1.9 that did not allowed to commit any configurations untill deleted.
Regards and thanks for the guideline.
Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.
The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!
These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!
The Live Community thanks you for your participation!