Upgrade to 8.0.2 bricked my PA500

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade to 8.0.2 bricked my PA500

L2 Linker

So am I the lucky one to have what should have been a simple upgrade brick the firewall?

Was running 7.1.7, normal download and install 8.0.2

Firewall came up with the yellow status light.

Was able at that point to login to gui.

Found this little darling message in the system log:

System messages:
'data_plane: Depend script failed max times'
See dataplane is restarting message
 'pktproc_n_log: Traceback (most recent call last):. File /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/masterd/mdBase.py, line 1902, in do. do_func(). File /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/masterd/mdBase.py, line 2046, in start_event. self.process_inuse(). File /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/masterd/mdBase.py, line 870, in process_inuse. core_pattern= self.pansys.dosys(\'/sbin/sysctl -n kernel.core_pattern\', shell=True)[1][0].rstrip(\'\n\').IndexError: list index out of range' )

With help from support the system went from bad to worse, ended up in a continuous reboot loop.

8 REPLIES 8

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

Did you move from 7.1 to 8.0.0 then 8.0.2 ?

I 've got many PA500 running in V8 and works well (slow .... but well)

Rgds

V.

No went from 7.1 directly to 8.0.2

I think 8.0.0 MUST be installed first in order to install any other 8.0.X release as it is a base image. But the firewall should not even let you install 8.0.2 release straight away

If it's anything like previous release versions, 8.0.0 can be downloaded(not installed) and then download and install 8.0.2.

I think with all of the backend upgrades that the device is doing this is likely going to happen occassionally on devices; real sorry to hear it happened to you but it is something that I've been worried about on our hardware units that you can't usually just simply fix by rebuilding. 

based image.PNG

I think you must install a base image first anyway

Luckily this was a non-production box.

I always worry about a Sunday morning upgrade to a remote office.

@gefuchs,

I already have a plan for upgrading to 8.0 on our PA-200s in the district offices. Upgrade on Saturday and if anything goes wrong then I'll just plan on being there right away Monday with a replacement. 

To be clear though I've been doing this alot lately without any real issue; with everything on the backend changing I just think that there's likely more of a chance that something could go wrong compared to past releases. 

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!