Upgrading PanOS from v5 to v6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrading PanOS from v5 to v6

L1 Bithead

Hi,

We're currently running codebase 5.0.11, and would like to go to 6.0.3.

Here are a few questions I have.

1)  This is a fairly new install.  When we migrated our config from our ASA to the PAN, the only reason I didn't go to the 6.0 codebase is because some of our objects didn't move over properly.  For instance, Service Groups and Address Groups were all empty.  When I migrated to the 5.0 codebase, it imported them correctly.  I just want to make sure that it was a problem with the migration tool, and not something that 6.0 can't handle period.  Has anyone upgraded to 6.0 with service and address groups in tact?

2)  Can I go directly to 6.0.3, or do I have to load 6.0 first, and then go to 6.0.3?

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

I've not done 5.x to 6.0.3 yet - but I have updated a lot of boxes from 4.x to 5.x.

I'm pretty sure you need to first install 6.0.0 after which you can install 6.0.3.  This is because update images such as 6.0.3 don't contain the whole operating system.

If you look at the PANOS image sizes you can see that the 6.0.0 image for PA500 is 353MB; whereas the 6.0.3 is 207MB....  If you try to just go straight to 6.0.3 you would be missing out on 150MB of PANOS goodness!  (Although the firewall will probably reject the install as far as I recall...)

L6 Presenter

You would only need to download the 6.0.0 base image and then proceed with a download and install of 6.0.3 soon thereafter. If you're seeing issues on your config, I usually run the following upon a reboot of a major PANOS. Upon completion of the reboot and autocom job has completed, go into configure mode of your device and perform the following. This may assist with any possible anomalies that crop up with the config xml file upon a major upgrade.

admin@Lab11-PA3020> configure

Entering configuration mode

[edit]

admin@Lab11-PA3020# commit force

....55%99%.....100%

Configuration committed successfully

admin@Lab11-PA3020# exit

Exiting configuration mode

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!