Upgrading Panorama and firewalls from 3.1.8 to 4.1.3

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrading Panorama and firewalls from 3.1.8 to 4.1.3

L3 Networker

Looking to upgrade our Panorama and mix of 500, 2000 and 4000 HA units from 3.1.8 to 4.1.3.

We understand that we need to jump to 4.0 first, and then to 4.1.3 as there is no direct upgrade path.

Here are some of the questions however:

1. Can we upgrade Panorama 3.1.8 -> 4.0 -> 4.1.3, and then do the same to the firewalls at a later time? What's the impact of running Panorama at 4.1.3 and the firewalls at 3.1.8?
  2. If we upgrade everything at once, should we go 3.1.8->4.0 across all units before proceeding to 4.1.3, or can each one be upgraded individually directly to 4.1.3 regardless of the state of the rest of the environment (e.g. the version of the HA partner)?

Thanks!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Here are two things...

1)everyupgrade of yours has to go trough this process...3.1.8--->.4.0.-->4.1.3 process wether it is a firewall or panorama... and it is independent of your environment.

2) you cannot have your panorma version less than your firewall version.. example.panorama cant run at 4.0 and manage a firewall running at 4.1.. your panorama  version should always be higher.

Tx,
Sandeep T

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Here are two things...

1)everyupgrade of yours has to go trough this process...3.1.8--->.4.0.-->4.1.3 process wether it is a firewall or panorama... and it is independent of your environment.

2) you cannot have your panorma version less than your firewall version.. example.panorama cant run at 4.0 and manage a firewall running at 4.1.. your panorama  version should always be higher.

Tx,
Sandeep T

So can we upgrade our Panorama to 4.1.3 and still be able to manage our 3.1.8 units without any issues (understanding that the new v4 functionality will not apply to the old units)?

We would like to bring Panorama to the latest release and then use it for some testing with a QA firewall before upgrading our production units.

Thanks.

I don't have Panorama in my mix, but when I upgraded my PA-500 out of the box, I had to download and install each of these firmwares in the following order:

1. 4.0.1

2. 4.1.0

3. 4.1.3

Hope this helps.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!