Uptick in RFC2397 Data URL Scheme Usage Detected (30419) ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Uptick in RFC2397 Data URL Scheme Usage Detected (30419) ?

L2 Linker

Before I go on a wild goose chase, has anyone seen an increase in threat 30419 (RFC2397 Data URL Scheme Usage Detected)?

It seems like these things trip for a while until PA figures out someone's using something novel in a new App. A new application sig comes out and the alerts go away...

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

This particular instance was a TTF (TrueType Font) file, and that the purpose of the javascript containing it looked to be css/style/ad delivery using JWPLAYER.

Advertising...

YMMV.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L3 Networker

thank goodness - its not just me. yes, we've seen a huge increase in these and wasn't sure if we should negate these in the policy or if Palo's threat team jacked with the settings in a recent db update. (known to happen)

anyone have thoughts on this? seems noisy for us. Can't tell if Palo changed it in threat db or if there's just a huge increase of it on net.

I opened a case (00389881) yesterday. They've heard rumblings from customers but hadn't received any pcaps yet.

By chance, I stumbled across someone tripping the sig and called them. They got red-faced when I asked them what they had just done...visited okmagazine.com. Sure enough, I was able to reproduce it and support has a pcap to look at.

let us know what the outcome is, we're getting these daily whereas we've never had them prior to about a month or so ago

This particular instance was a TTF (TrueType Font) file, and that the purpose of the javascript containing it looked to be css/style/ad delivery using JWPLAYER.

Advertising...

YMMV.

Did you mark it as exception and allow or are you still alerting on it?

We've been getting a lot of hits on this Threat ID as well.  I think if anything, this ID should be set to Informational or Low.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!