User-ID two usernames being identified by User-ID servers

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-ID two usernames being identified by User-ID servers

L2 Linker

Hi,

I am having troubles with getting the Palo's in my network to only use the UPN of a user in our environment. I would like to start creating security policies to control staff members access to resources based on their AD user rather than IP address and then further to that leverage groups. Long term of course the idea is to leverage AD groups to control access to resources, however I need to prove that this will work on individual users first.

It is not working currently because what I am seeing in the monitor logs is either domain\user.name or user.name@domain.local  and because of this whenever I make a security policy sometimes it works for the end user and then the next moment it doesn't work. It will work 100% of the time if I update the policy to domain\user.name and user.name@domain.local . This of course is not practical and scalable.

Currently we are using 2 Palo Alto Windows Server Agents to get the access data from our AD servers. Palo Alto monitor logs are reporting back connected and the User-ID log shows the source as being either of these servers.

Here is some screenshots of our current configuration for the user & group mapping.

ldap_group_mapping1.pngldap_group_mapping2.png

Are there additional settings, or things I need to be doing to resolve this and either only match on domain\user.name or user.name@domain.local

Thanks.

Daniel Bostock | Senior IT Operations Engineer, EML Payments | Blog: https://danielbostock.com
16 REPLIES 16

L1 Bithead

I bumped into this discussion and I believe I have an additional challange  😀

In our case the UPN and samAccountName are not the same. The samAccountName is the employee number. In the example below this is user1234

The user recognition works flawless on for example VPN connections and when I look at the group mappings it only shows UPN names.

Also when creating policies I can choose the user principal name.

The user data is fetched via Active Directory-WinRM

Looking at the "User-ID" logs it shows that the client (computer) provides the username. 

In this case it is domain\sAMAccountName

I would guess that a user has logged onto with his employee number. 

This is also shown in the Traffic Logs. 

But there does not appear to be a match between short-domain\sAMAcountName and the UPN. 

There is a match on FQDN-DomainName\sAMAccountName

Most likely I need to find the solution to this problem in the alternate UserName fields. 

Any idea what needs to be set to find the correct match. 

Remko_0-1669906902992.png

Example username

UPN : john.doe@acme.com

acme.com\user1234

acme.com\john.doe

needed: 

ac\user1234

where ac is the short domain name instead of the FQDN

Any thoughts are most welcome. 

L1 Bithead

Above problem has been resolved by changing the Domain Settings in the Group Mapping to the "Short" domain name instead of the FQDN

Remko_0-1670500565941.png

Users are now correctly identified. 

• 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!