VM-100 on VMware Worksataion 15

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VM-100 on VMware Worksataion 15

L1 Bithead

Hi there,

I have no issues spining up new VM-100s in my VMware Workstation 15.0.2, however, when I try to add a third vNIC to the VM, the VM will not boot any longer. I get an error on the CLI (VM console) indicating that the configuration is not supported and I have to connected PAN support. 

Anyone have tried this and perhaps come across the same issue? (the vNIC I'm adding is of type VMnetx (where x is the number of VMnet costume: specific virtual network).

Any feedback or comment is appreciated.

Sam

1 REPLY 1

L1 Bithead

Hello out there,

Kind of surprising not to see any comments or feedbackson this topic, as my exprience has always been otherwise. But for all it's worth I am responsding to my own comments as I was able to find some answers as to why the VM (VM-100) FW breaks as more vNIC are added. By applying the following solution I was able to resolve the issue I was facing on my PAN VM-100.

All VM-series firewalls do require vmxnet3 type vNIC. By default when a vNIC is added to the VM-100 (or to All VM-series firewalls for that matter) VMware Worksatation by adds the vNIC as e1000 (I believe this Intel and not VMware propietory NIC). So to resolve this issue, xxxx.vmx file (where xxxx respresnt the name of the VM you have selected when the VM was built) needs to be opened in notepad. All references, in case mulitple vNICs were added, to "e1000" need to be replaced by "vmxnet3". After the file, is saved, (better power off the VM before you make this chage), the VM can be powered back on, the boot process should complete, and the log on prompt should be presented at the CLI. 

This is also a good article from PAN itself, describing the requirments of the VM-series:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/7-1/vm-series-deployment/set-up-a-vm-series-firewall-on-...

Cheers

Lord

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!