VM-Series firewall on VirtualBox

L2 Linker

Re: VM-Series firewall on VirtualBox

Did you ever get this working within VB?

L4 Transporter

I believe this is impossible based on the post by JohnaL:

JohanL wrote:

I'm running a PA-VM in VMware workstation 9. It is important that your network adapters supports vmxnet3.

It runs smootly.

If VMware proprietary vmxnet3 adapters are "baked into" the VM series appliance and they are required, then there's no way to get the appliance to work in VirtualBox. The only way to even possibly get it to work is if some generic adapter were used in VirtualBox, that the VM series appliance kernel would happen to see and recognize as valid eth interfaces.

Sorry! I basically gave up after seeing that vmxnet3 was required as the adapter.

L2 Linker

Thanks...  I read that but didn't know if anyone was able to actually get it to work.

L1 Bithead

I've got the 8.1 PA-VM running on VirtualBox 5.2 with exactly the same message, it just takes, like, 5+ minutes before it actually boots.

Even after that the system needs several more minutes until the default login of admin/admin is available.

L7 Applicator

This also happens in VMware environments (delayed bootup) when you upgrade the "VM Hardware" compatibility past a certain level.  I believe it has something to do with a virtual serial port or somesuch, but don't have the details at my fingertips. 

I'm sure you could dig in the Palo Alto Networks documentation and find which VM Hardware versions are fully supported, and then look at what VMware changed in subsequent hareware compatibility updates/versions.  

L1 Bithead

Thanks for the hint! Adding a virtual serial port has cut down boot times dramatically!

L2 Linker

Hi, i also have this issue, able to share more details on the serial port that you add to speed up the boot up?

L1 Bithead

Not really. I added a serial port with default values in the virtualbox UI. That was all.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!