VM100 L3 subinterfaces cannot forward traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VM100 L3 subinterfaces cannot forward traffic

L3 Networker

Hello to everyone,

recently I installed new VM100 on ESXi 5.0 infrastructure, but during initial configuration I noticed that L3 subinterfaces cannot forward any traffic, even I configured virtual router and policy with permit all-any statement between two sub's (zones). On VMware side on distributed switch I created  trunk portgroup with 2 vlan's, and map third interface on VM profile (ethernet 1/2 on VM100) to that port group.  On VM100 I split eth1/2 like L3 on two subinterfaces and bound them IP addresses, vlan tags and Vrouter. MAC address for both subinterfaces is the same and inherited from parent physical Eth1/2 and that is visible on both vlan's (mac tables on external cisco switches). Explicit policy was applied to forward any traffic between this two subinterfaces but nothing are forwarded. From CLI, only I can see that passing between two subinterfaces is ping (#ping source (IP of one subint) host (IP of second subint), but that is inside routing engine. 

If anyone have similar experience, please advise before I open support case.....

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

problem solved in way that PAN-VM interfaces MAC's need to be nested on VM profile and override VMware generic MAC's  for every particular interface except Mgmt, otherwise it can't forward traffic at all.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Not applicable

Did you apply the license? It needs a valid license to fwd traffic.

Hi,

yes I applied all necessary licenses, obtain serial number and upgrade to 5.0.1 ver.....

problem solved in way that PAN-VM interfaces MAC's need to be nested on VM profile and override VMware generic MAC's  for every particular interface except Mgmt, otherwise it can't forward traffic at all.

ie: you need to enable "promiscuous mode" on the portgroup/v-switch where firewall dataplane interfaces are connected.  VMware has this disabled by default.   

Hi,

I already done this (promiscuous mode>accept), but even I do that, interfaces can't forward until I override MAC adresses in VM profile....

L0 Member

Can we get an example of "nested MACs"?

Wht do you mean by "nesting on VM profile" ?

Get a list of all of the interfaces & MAC addresses from PAN-OS by the cli command "show interfaces all".  Then shutdown the VM-Series firewall "request shutdown system".  Finally, edit the virtual machine guest and take the MAC addresses that were listed in PAN-OS and hard code those into the virtual machine.  Instead of "Automatic" change it to "Manual" and use the PAN-OS provided MAC address.

Keep in mind that "Network adapter 1" is the management interface.  So "Network adapter 2" should map to PAN-OS Ethernet1/1, and go from there.

Capture.PNG

There is something I did not understand here.

when I look from esx ı see ethernet's Mac is automatic that is ok.And there are mac's inside the box.

when I turn on Vm and from cli show interface all

I see different mac addresses which starts with 00:1b:17:xx:xx:xx

is there a way to change this mac ?

I also tried manual but nothing change always same mac comes.

no, you cannot change this MAC's.... They generated in moment when you license and register your device. Only first interface (on VM profile - Network adapter 1) has MAC from VMware pool and that is Mgmt interface and every additional interface (from adapter 2 to 10) need to be overridden with manual MAC's you find  from CLI command "sh int all". Only when you register your device and put MAC's from PAN pool on VM profile, they forward traffic.

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

I'm facing the same problem.

The thing is: the vswitch is in promiscuous mode, i've set the pan-vm mac adresses manually in the vm settings and the pan-vm is licensed.

Any ideas to troubleshoot this?

Any help  would be appreciated.

Hi,

VM app in a moment of licensing generate their own pool (pan vendor specific) of Mac addresses, so I think that you need set that Mac's on VM profile. Only mgmt interface can be auto assign and bound from vmware Mac pool.

Just to add- I have no issues unitl I use L3 Subinterfaces.

I have verified the tags are set, the MAC is set and still not passing traffic.  

So I wonder, aside from the tag, if there are L3 Subinterface related settings wemight be missing?

Cheers-

Don

Hello again, I found the isue after a night's rest.  I need to goto the VirtualSwitch Properties and set teh vlan tag to " all (4095) .

Now I am good to go.

regards,

Don

• 1 accepted solution
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!