Valid Object Name Requirements Documentation Wrong

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Valid Object Name Requirements Documentation Wrong

L1 Bithead

When creating an Address Object (as well as other object types) the documentation for Palo Alto 8.1 says this, "The name is case-sensitive, must be unique, and can contain only letters, numbers, spaces, hyphens, and underscores."

The popup that appears when an invalid object name is added in the WebUI says this, "A valid object name must start with an alphanumeric character and can contain zero or more alphanumeric characters, underscore '_', hypen '-', dot '.' or spaces.

The difference is what characters the name can start with and that periods are allowed. Can the documentation be updated to match the actual requirements for object names?

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JasonKC,

FYI,

This would likely have a better change of hitting the right people if you create a TAC case and report it or bring it up with your SE, who should be able to do that on your behalf.

View solution in original post

L7 Applicator

You can place comments in the online documentation pages.  I suggest you post that here.  I would assume that the documentation team listens for comments on their assigned pages.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/web-interface-help/objects/objects-addresse...

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JasonKC,

FYI,

This would likely have a better change of hitting the right people if you create a TAC case and report it or bring it up with your SE, who should be able to do that on your behalf.

L7 Applicator

You can place comments in the online documentation pages.  I suggest you post that here.  I would assume that the documentation team listens for comments on their assigned pages.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/web-interface-help/objects/objects-addresse...

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 2 accepted solutions
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!