Virtual wire for two different VLANs!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Virtual wire for two different VLANs!

L2 Linker

Hi,

I wanted to apply a virtual wire between two sub-interfaces 1.10 and 2.20, which are basically in two different VLAN ID (10 and 20), but I'm getting an error saying that sub-interfaces cannot have interfaces with different VLAN (10/20).

Is this the default behavior for virtual wire, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-B

7 REPLIES 7

L2 Linker

or is there any option to set the vlan as native vlan ...

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

FIrst, vwire can only be configured between physical interfaces. After that you can configure Vwire sub interface per vlan.

Second, as Vwire is transparent, no reason for having different vlan on each interface 🙂

Hope help

V.

OK it's a misconfiguration on my network, because it doesn't make sense to have two different vlans.

It wont work even with the router, but router in this case is using the Native Vlan to accept all untagged traffic.

Regards,

B

Hi,

If question is answer, please to close it.

Keep in mind, if you need to allow taggued vlan to go through vwire, you have to allow it:

vwire.JPG.jpg

Hope help

V.

thank you Vince.

L2 Linker

Below is the answer for Native VLAN:

Setting a VLAN as a native VLAN on Cisco turns off tagging.

The PAN device has no concept of "Native VLAN". The logical interface assigned to the physical interface would be the interface to accept untagged vlans.

If the following interfaces are created:

Eth1/1 ---- Untagged Traffic
Eth1/1.100 --- Tagged with VLID = 100
Eth1/1.200 --- Tagged with VLID = 200

On the Cisco switch configure VLAN 200 to be the "Native VLAN", then the packets exiting the switch would have no tag. These packets would enter the PAN device on Eth1/1 because it is expecting untagged traffic.

owner: skrall

Native VLAN Configuration

Not applicable

If you've got two wires with different VLAN's chances are that you are running two different logical networks as well (ie. different ip networks). If, however, the same ip network is present on both VLAN's you can use L2 interfaces instead of vwire and then do VLAN translation between them.

BR,
Nicolai

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!