Weird Malware URL Reporting

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Weird Malware URL Reporting

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Has anybody else noticed that their botnet report is triggering on weird URLs that couldn't actually exist. I've listed some examples but I can't figure out why some of the URLs being reported are so clearly 'wrong'. 

Visited malware URL 8M{zy!ces{~yeo{au?qfg.>Kcf~%7fwze%7fm%20}crzfeg!~znbe?mk%7fi%20}%7feca$lbkez|5#T82<:59<#%207;L-`bm2xefy/8M(<I5#T~}|~znbe``h~bh%20l%7f|7;Lfec`jc~fh'x!~mg%7f~~$y%7fm%7fztpfl'x|x||=w{nb%7f%7f(<I!)%?2<?>?*W4z7bv}`~v#v$8j=<m?$r

Visited malware URL 8Miczjbes`dficz*Ws{~x)?Hcq<w}'ha%20a|sp`z'ecykm%7f~y$geoxb{i<%209;<<?<8=bffxrezb|7~fi6dyz%7f5S,8M)?Hxgf<ek%7fe`k|>r}d/9Jh`{ucfhceah`{5#Thx%7f%7f(<I|p?l~&o`#`crs{y&bbzjr~}b'fbn{cdh?;::;=<='<a}eyu#f{}}4z7bv}c{w!t$2<oh?6)'

Visited malware URL 9J)?B%204A|~cxxdp|(dgd/9J`kkosg{n%7f?#tmv;Oc.?It6Y5-;<~~a!6Bo|}z.?L!7@:O~|e~plr~&jef)?Bqnb%ek%7fi~p(oi%kojyy}(rumgnx)?B#jhk4b%7fx}!6G:O/9Jyslusa}s%obi%204A|ao&`lp`us%`d&nhepr~%}xnbiw%204A

Visited malware URL 3@'1B%204A%7f~w/pf`aos&jol'1Bw#5Nhlm'1B#jhk4huvs!6G:O=tsr(nfmeqgm``hs&jo/wh!7@im~s$0Esjtkl,2Gcnawodiz=tllrb%aotqf)aiiied,vqqhv*xeaovf`(`fcl-rvlv|+telas/skiosajo,pftjtsm{-mgbov+pizhhldpjh*mqalkmaw+f??02235+nsee&r?j~ukqbz3,f:6`b>ih

9 REPLIES 9

L7 Applicator

I've not seen these personally, but they look like they are worth reporting in an official support ticket.  Seems likely to be a bug they will need to work on.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Actually this appears to have vanished with time. I'm not sure why it started reporting correctly again since it corrected itself prior to any interaction from myself. I have restarted since then and haven't seen it come back at all. 

I agree. Mine has also corrected on its own. Not sure why.

@GHoffman glad to know I wasn't the only one affected, hadn't seen it getting reported anywhere. 

I was also glad that someone else was experiencing the problem. I reported yesterday that the problem seemed to have gone away, but I had some pop up in this morning's botnet report. I sent in a ticket.

@GHoffman, That's awesome as this morning I actually saw them pop back up again as well. The funny thing is they report perfectly fine this time in my logs, and the same URL was fine for other clients, so not exactly sure what's going on with it. 

L6 Presenter

My botnet reporting is still showing the crazy URL syntax as well.  Not on every suspected entry though.

@Brandon_Wertz ya it appears to have come back within the last few days for some reason. I would say likely 70% of my entires show fine and the rest will be crazy and unusable; however I can look in my logs and see that it records the correct data for the entry. 

Hey all; so i've been looking through this and it appears that all of my weird entires are from fqtag.com, and it's only listing the last section of the URL which is why it looks so god awfully weird. I've open a case to see why it's doing this and not showing fqtag.com/whatever so we can at least verify what domain they are going to. 

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!