What is the correct way to send all traffic to the virtual firewall?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

What is the correct way to send all traffic to the virtual firewall?

L1 Bithead

Hello, good morning,

I plan to purchase the product vm100 (kvm), to have a virtualized firewall on a dedicated server.

In the same rack will have other servers connected to a switch.

I wonder, what would be the right way to pass all incoming and outgoing traffic from the other servers through the firewall.

Thank you very much for advising me on good practices.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

as per the diagram, your network setup is quite simple. You just need to have the servers and the firewall's internal interface on the same subnet and configure the firewall as the default gateway for the servers.

On the outside interface configure the public IP your isp have provided.

Create a security/nat policy from inside to outside for outbound. Similarly, for inbound traffic, you will have to setup port forwarding/DNAT rules and security rule to allow traffic to hit the servers.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/pan-os/networking/nat/nat-configuration-exa...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

I am assuming that currently, you have a router which takes of your incoming and outgoing traffic for the servers. If this is true then make firewall as the default gateway for the servers and then connect the firewall to router over a different interface.

Setup nat and security policies accordingly.

If you can share your current network diagram, then I should be able to suggest further.

Hi, thanks for the answer. Sorry for not being able to attend the publication sooner.
I will publish the basic diagram that will better explain the model of the connections than I do with text. Thank you

Network.png

as per the diagram, your network setup is quite simple. You just need to have the servers and the firewall's internal interface on the same subnet and configure the firewall as the default gateway for the servers.

On the outside interface configure the public IP your isp have provided.

Create a security/nat policy from inside to outside for outbound. Similarly, for inbound traffic, you will have to setup port forwarding/DNAT rules and security rule to allow traffic to hit the servers.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/pan-os/networking/nat/nat-configuration-exa...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!