Zone Creation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Zone Creation

Not applicable

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on Palo Alto Configuration,

I would like to know if it's possible to configure 2 zones for the same physical network.

Use case:

Ethernet 1: Zone Servers: ip: 192.168.80.254/24

Ethernet 2: Zone internet 1 : 193.1.1.254/24

Ethernet 3: Zone internet 1 : 193.2.1.254/24

I would like to have another network 192.168.90.0/24 so that I can chose let's say

network 192.168.80.0/24 goes out on internet through Ethernet 2 and network 192.168.90.0/24 goes out on internet through Ethernet 3

How is that possible when I have only cable connected to the switch having both networks (192.168.80.0/24 and 192.168.90.0/24)

Regards

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi support.securalis ,

Yes that is possible. To address your 1st question, you can configure either secondary IP for .90 subnet on ethernet 1 or configure subinterfaces on Ethernet 1 for both .80 and .90 subnets.

To route the traffic you will need policy based forwarding, where you can say .90 subnet will take ethernet 3 when going out. And rest of your network will take regular route via Ethernet  2 (or vice versa).

Hope this helps. Thank you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

Hi support.securalis ,

Yes that is possible. To address your 1st question, you can configure either secondary IP for .90 subnet on ethernet 1 or configure subinterfaces on Ethernet 1 for both .80 and .90 subnets.

To route the traffic you will need policy based forwarding, where you can say .90 subnet will take ethernet 3 when going out. And rest of your network will take regular route via Ethernet  2 (or vice versa).

Hope this helps. Thank you.

L4 Transporter

Just to elaborate on what ssharma said:

If the 192.168.90.0/24 subnet is also coming from Ethernet 1 then yes, you will need to use PBF

However, if 192.168.90.0/24 is coming in from another interface, you can set up a virtual router for each path with the appropriate routes.

Thank you very much. I did it like configuring a second subnet on the same interface.

L7 Applicator

Since you are looking to have each subnet use a specific ISP, you could simply put the ISP plus subnet into their own virtual router.  This way no special configuration for PBF is needed.

Create two virtual routers

Put each ISP into one VR with a default route

Put the servers subnet into VR 1 and the user subnet into VR2

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Can you do that via a single interface?

Sub interfaces are considered separate interfaces and can be placed into different virtual routers and zones.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!