globalprotect stuck at "Retrieving configuration..."

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

globalprotect stuck at "Retrieving configuration..."

L1 Bithead

OS info: openSUSE Leap 42.3

After installing globalprotect I tried to connect for the first time, but it seems to get stuck.

After the inital warning messages, I continued as suggested in the manual:

>> connect -p portal.vpn.broadcom.com -u tc912575                                                                                  
Retrieving configuration...

There is a problem with the security certificate, so the identity of portal.vpn.broadcom.com cannot be verified. Please contact the Help Desk for your organization to have the issue rectified.                               
Warning: The communication with portal.vpn.broadcom.com may have been compromised. We recommend that you do not continue with this connection.                                                                                 
Error details: 
Do you want to continue(y/n)?y

And then nothing. Any help troubeshooting would be greatly appreciated.

I do realize that the OS is not officially supported, but linux systems generally behave similiarly.

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

They have actually hard coded some checks into the application to look for the distro release/version. If you fake these (there are a couple file locations you would have to edit) it will work, however due to this hard coding this will not work without "cheating" it. A shame really because it really *does* work with "other" distros but I guess they can choose what they are willing to support and not support...

Ill just leave this here...

/etc/lsb-release

/etc/os-release

*clears throat*

If you are going to do that, why not at least put out a warning or message.

Anyway, what should the files look like? Do you know? Can we share it?

Thanks.

If you are going to do that, why not at least put out a warning or message.

Not trying to be a jerk here - no warnings or messages are needed if you're running on a supported distro.

The supported versions are few because it is known to work on those versions. It may work on others, but it's just not feasible to make sure every flavor is working or provide guidance when it doesn't.

Not everyone will remember to tell tech support that they're running a Linux distro that's not supported. I've spent more time than I can calculate trying to troubleshoot things like this, and it is really not fun.

Stick with a supported distro. If you want to force it to run on openSUSE Leap, or a Rasberry Pi, or your own custom kernel you can - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Your not a jerk. I agree with your response, however issuing a warning message is harmless and easy so why not do it. And it can say exactly what you did. 😉

So the reason I have to go thru this mess is because my company switched from cisco anyconnect and now I have to find a way to make it work with my personal machine because I work from home a lot. So it wasn't my decision and I'm not happy about it.

I might have to do what you suggested and just install a supported OS. Anyway, not sure what to do yet.

Is your company supporting Linux for connection to the VPN? 

It is possible that they do not have any client configurations specified in the gateway for the Linux GP client.

You may want to connect with your corporate IT to have them identify what they are seeing at the GP portal. 

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!