mDNS (Apple Bounjour) between two VLANs through a PA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

mDNS (Apple Bounjour) between two VLANs through a PA

L2 Linker

Hi,

this is the scenario:

- a PA with two physical L3 interfaces (1 zone per interface, 1 subnet per interface, we call them A and B).

- I have a device in Subnet A which is an Airport thing with a printer attached. Devices in Subnet A they can discover the printer via the Apple Bonjour service

- Devices in Subnet B cannot discover the printer in subnet A

- Traffic from/to these two subnets is completely allowed, no restrictions whatsover, and no NAT.

- Both subnets and devices have the PA interface as default gateway

- i am running 7.1

What i did:

- in network-router, i edited the existing virtual router, went to "Multicast" and enabled Multicast. - 

- RP Static, RP Interface is the Subnet A interface, RP Address the Subnet A interface address

- Group list: 224.0.0.0/4

- Remote Rendevous point: empty

Interfaces: Subnet A interface, Subnet B Interface IGMP/PIM enabled

- added policy from Subnet A zone and Subnet B zone to "Multicast" zone all allowed

- and committed

Still from Subnet B i cannot see the airport via the multicast Bonjour service. Ideas?

thanks heaps

22 REPLIES 22

L3 Networker

By default, Bounjour only works in a single broadcast domain so it won't traverse the firewall.

To get Bonjour to work across subnets, you need to use wide area Bonjour by creating specific DNS entries. 

thanks RFalconer. 

after a lot more reading, i found out that Bonjour sets ttl=1 by default so crossing a router, although possible, will decrease ttl to 0 and the packet it is discarded. This is by design.

Multicast routing although possible, it will not serve this purpose hence it won't work.

The only way to handle this is to use a bonjour gateway which is a feature some vendors offer, like Aruba or Cisco Meraki. 

How can this be accomplished? Can you forward local mDNS queries (224.0.0.251) to something routable (224.0.1.251)? Is that what you're suggesting to cross zones?

L1 Bithead

If you are reading this in 2020, support for Bonjour has been added to PAN-OS version 10.0.1.

When will PAN-OS 10.0.1 be released? 

Mid-September is the estimated target.

10.0.1 just landed, however this feature is only supported on PA-220, PA-800 and PA-3200...  It is not supported on PA-VM.

L2 Linker

I did some testing on a PA 220. It works well so far.

Can You give some instructions please ? Is there any official paper ? 

Documentation is here (afaik):

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-0/pan-os-admin/networking/configure-interfaces/bonjour-r...

If you have an internal interface and a IoT Interface, you just need the bonjour reflector on both interfaces.  it's possible up to 16if.

It works on ae and subinterfaces.

Thanks !, I miss that I hope it will work for HomeKit as well.

It does not work for me or I am doing something wrong, 

name rx tx drop
----------------------------------------------------------
ethernet1/3.10 39 122 0
ethernet1/3.20 122 39 0 

I looks like PA-220 reflecting Bonjur Packets - I made rule from LAN to IOT but there is no traffic, 

I installed Bonjur Discovery app on Mac and I can See all devices but Mac home app or screen mirroring are not available, 

should I do anything more then enable reflector and creating a rule ?

Maybe some DNS proxy trick, my dns is set up to some Internet Gateway right now.

Still no success, 

I tried to compare mDns browser app from IOT vlan and user Lan and both are the same. 

I spot that rule is not required because Pa-220 will forward 100% necessary traffic. 

I am going to create support case for that I know that this is new thing for PA, still they need user feedback, and I need this functionality. 

Hi There

Did the case reveal anything new? I enabled it on the two interfaces in question but have the same result.

Thank you and best regards

There's no home like 127.0.0.1
  • 22 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!