migrating configuration from physical appliance to Azure VM

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

migrating configuration from physical appliance to Azure VM

L3 Networker

Hi community,

I´d like to check with you if there´s a way to migrate/adapt the configuration from a physical firewall to be imported into an Azure´s VM?

Could it be possible importing into the Migration tool both configuration files...

1. snapshot from physical appliance

2. the sample configuration file from Github repository

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/8-0/vm-series-deployment/set-up-the-vm-series-firewall-o...

... And then move the objects from file 1 to file 2? 

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Carracido,

You have a few different options:

1) Doing this manually

2) Rebuilding the configuration manually

3) Directly modify the XML configuration file from the VM-Series using the pysical appliance XML as a base for your policies and objects. 

4) The migration tool.

5) Directly on the box using the merge functionality. 

Of all of these options I would either recommend that you rebuild it manually while using the configuration on the physical appliance as a base for the new configuration. The plus to this part of the configuration is that you have the chance to completely review everything and determine if it actually still needs to be there, or if you can restrict it further than you did with the initial policy. Essentially, it's a good time to go through the firewall configuration policy by policy and ensure that it's been properly configured and everything is still relevant. 

The seond option I would go with is simply doing it through the XML configuration file myself or utilizing the merge functionality. Both are easy to accomplish.

I would avoid the migration tool unless you already have experiance with it and you already have it configured. Otherwise it's quite a bit of setup work for something that you'll spend an equal amount of time actually getting it to work correctly. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!